Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD via USB won't boot by default

Hello Apple Community,

I have an annoying issue with my new external SSD. Since the base model Mac Mini late 2014 comes with an HDD 5400 RPM drive, I wanted to upgrade to an SSD without having to rip the whole unit apart. I wanted to exhaust the "boot from USB" option and I am encountering a strange issue. I cloned my Mac to the new SSD and slapped it in an enclosure case. I plugged it in via USB and changed my "startup disk" to use the external SSD. However, it won't boot to this device automatically. When I reboot and view the "boot manager" I cannot see the USB drive being initialized automatically. After unplugging / re-plugging the drive in, it shows up as a bootable option. Once it is initialized, everything works fine and I can boot into El Capitan without any issues using the SSD.

I am trying to figure out a way I can get the Mac to initialize the SSD at boot up and choose it by default. I don't want to have to re-plug the drive every time I want to boot to the SSD... Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

My Equipment

===========================

Mac Mini (Late 2014) Base Model

1.4 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB of 1600 Mhz DDR3

OS X - El Capitan v 10.11.3

240 GB SanDisk SSD Plus - connected via USB3.0

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 8:56 PM

14 replies

Feb 23, 2016 1:09 AM in response to xiantez

What enclosure are you using for the SSD?

Can you provide a link?

If the SSD comes with an enclosure provide a link to that,

How did you clone to the SSD? What app did you use?

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

- If it is repairable reinstall the OSX. Nothing should be lost

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac - Apple Support

- If you do not have a backup use disk utility to restore the internal disk to an external disk so you can try to recover data.

Then format the startup disk and do a fresh install of OSX

Feb 24, 2016 8:32 PM in response to xiantez

hi Xiantez, I'm in the same boat as you! I'm glad that getting a new enclosure helped out; it's the only thing that I haven't tried yet (short of getting a new Hard Drive).

I was sold a NexStar 6Gwhen I bought my SSD a few months ago and it's been a struggle to get my SSD to boot off of the drive. Cloning my drive only made the SSD discoverable, but my Late MM2014 doesn't seem to care about that during boot-up. I'm going to look into at getting the Sabrent Ultra Slim 2.5 to USB 3.0 as my replacement case.

Does anyone know if it'll be an issue with my Samsung Evo 850?

Feb 24, 2016 9:39 PM in response to biggie101

Yeah sounds like you have the exact same problem. Let me know if your Sabrent fixes the problem! I tested 3 different enclosures and my read/write speeds varied depending on which enclosure I used (odd). A good tool to measure your SSD I/O is an application called "BlackMagic Disk Speed Test". I recommend testing a few enclosures so you can get the best of both worlds (boot from SSD and fast read/write speeds) I do have an older case that worked fine upon boot, however my speeds were like ~35MBs/85MBs.

Good Luck!!

Aug 5, 2016 11:10 PM in response to den.thed

Just be VERY careful when purchasing from this retailer. As a former long time business customer, we purchased some very expensive audio equipment, and when the representative was asked if the products had been previously sold and returned, he responded that they had not been. We discovered differently after unboxing the equipment. With a $30 enclosure that's not much of a concern but, nonetheless, just be careful.

Aug 8, 2016 8:11 PM in response to den.thed

Apparently my implications that we purchased new audio equipment from Fry's but received returned/used equipment weren't clear enough. However, since we're straying slightly off the subject, I'll rephrase my comments for better understanding and more brevity.

Based upon repeated, documented, negative buying experiences, I suggest avoiding Fry's Electronics. Should Apple users choose to purchase new devices from that vendor, expecting to receive items that had never been returned, inspect the packaging very closely especially for devices you may be connecting to your Apples. Take photos immediately upon delivery of packages received from Fry's Electronics prior to opening if any damage or broken manufacturer's' seals are observed.

External SSD via USB won't boot by default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.