Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i delete OS 9 in my applications folder

I am trying to delete old files. As i now have El Capitan, , is it ok to delete OS 9 from my applications folder?

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 9:58 AM

Do you really, really, really, really means OS9 dating from almost 18 years ago? Or do you mean iOS9 which is a very different thing (names are important!!) ?

11 replies

Feb 23, 2016 11:49 AM in response to Phil0124

The folder name "Applications (Mac OS 9)" was used back when OS 9 and OS X (very early versions) could both be used on the same Mac, whether OS 9 was availabe as an OS or just as Classic.

If you are using El Capitan, you are far removed from being able to use any OS 9 application (both by OS X version and by the hardware needed by El Capitan).

As Phil has suggested, you should be able to delete that entire folder with no danger. However, it would not hurt to look through it first to be sure you did not tuck a needed document in there at some time. This is based on the observed principle that things we haven't needed in a long time become critically necessary 5 minutes after they are thrown away.

Feb 28, 2016 11:36 AM in response to Don Archibald

Hi Don,

Very sorry to contact you this way (I can't seem to find a better one), I'm wondering if you might be able to provide me with the same help you provided this fellow back in 2007?:
Volume adjust using keyboard?

I'm having the exact same issue setting up a legacy mac for myself and can't seem to find those little apps anywhere other than this old topic!
Very grateful for anything you could do! 🙂

Best,
Sam

Can i delete OS 9 in my applications folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.