Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a file named "In␀remental Backup 010905". It's an old Windows backup file that got transferred to my Mac ages ago. I cannot get rid of it. Cannot move to Trash, and I've already tried Trash It. Cannot change file name. Any suggestions?

I have a file named "In␀remental Backup 010905". It's an old Windows backup file that got transferred to my Mac ages ago. I cannot get rid of it. Cannot move to Trash, and I've already tried Trash It. Cannot change file name. Any suggestions?

Using El Capitan on a 27"

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 2:14 PM

5 replies

May 15, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

There was a way to delete these files with every version of the operating system till El Capitan. I have 3.5 TB of data and three of these files have "infected both the boot drive and my 4 TB raid and 6TB backup. Since the machine I running is a new "Skylake" iMac there is no other choice than to spend HOURS reformatting and restoring in order to delete 3 tiny little files that could have been deleted in seconds with any previous version of the operating system.

I read, but don't remember, what apple changed, and since this is the second time my computer has been infected I am seriously considering selling my new iMac and updating an older MacPro so I can revert back to a less crippled operating system.

First they replaced useful labels with dots and now I can't delete files from my backup that have nul characters. STOP TURNING MY COMPUTER INTO AN IPAD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.