Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

able to wake and manage but not control/observe closed MacBooks

Hello -

Using Apple Remote Desktop App 3.8, against a cart of 20 MacBook Airs running OS 10.11, which are on same local Wifi network as my admin machine. Client MacBooks are configured for Wake on Wifi and are connected to power. their lids are closed as they live in a cart while charging.

I am able to submit the "wake" request from the "Manage" menu in Apple remote desktop, and that does work, they report "Available" status within a few seconds. I am able to submit UNIX commands and those also work.

However I'm not able to control screen the way I can when they are open and awake.

Is this by design? Is there any way to make it so I am able to remote control them while closed and charging?

Thanks!

Apple Remote Desktop-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 3:54 PM

1 reply

able to wake and manage but not control/observe closed MacBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.