Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina (Retina, Mid 2012), Battery issues.

Hey guys,

Im having a problem that I have noticed for a few weeks now. My laptop turns off, when I press the power button it shows me a dead battery picture on the screen. When I plug the laptop into the outlet and turn on the laptop, in the status bar it shows that I don't have a dead battery. Sometime it happens at 25%, sometimes at 60% battery remaining.

I haven't done battery calibration on since this doesn't always happen. Sometimes it goes all the way down to 10% and give me a warming. Im not very sure what is going on. Could it be that my battery is bad already?

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: D8*********GA0

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 511

Hardware Revision: 3

Cell Revision: 1150

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 4415

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6786

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 958

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -1993

Voltage (mV): 10926

I don't have warranty on the laptop anymore and was looking for you help guys to see if it's something I may fix myself or something that is an issue with OSX.

Running: 10.11.3 (15D21)

Thank you,

Greg

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), null

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 5:20 AM

5 replies

Feb 25, 2016 10:36 AM in response to GregNYR89

Hello there, GregNYR89.

It sounds like you're having issues with your battery life and your system shutting off unexpectedly. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great recommendations for troubleshooting:

About Mac notebook batteries

Troubleshooting batteries

A great place to start when troubleshooting battery issues is the built-in diagnostics that are available on your Mac notebook. Review the following articles for more information on using diagnostics.

Note: The additional troubleshooting recommended below assumes you have run the above diagnostic appropriate for your computer and that no issues were found.

My battery runtime is low

1. Identify what the battery life should be for the product you're using.The Tech Specs site provides Apple's battery life expectations for battery usage. The specifics for wireless web usage and standby time are included in the Tech Specs article for each product.
  2. Learn how to minimize common causes of battery drain:
    • Optimize your battery life using the Optimizing Battery Life section earlier in this article.
    • Learn how apps can affect Mac battery performance. Check Activity Monitor for any malfunctioning software processes, especially after installing software updates or a new operating system. Installing updates is important to ensure optimal performance for all applications.
    • If you're still having battery runtime issues after optimizing your computer's performance and checking for malfunctioning software processes, test in Safe Mode. Safe Mode limits the active items on the system and allows testing in a more minimal environment. If the battery life is better in Safe Mode, you may need to do further software isolation for the items disabled by Safe Mode to determine what the power draw is while not operating in Safe Mode.

Additionally there is some great information on servicing your battery:

Servicing the battery in your Mac notebook

MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro computers with built-in batteries should only have their batteries replaced by an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store. Attempting to replace a built-in battery yourself could damage your equipment, and such damage is not covered by warranty.

These Mac notebooks have built-in batteries:

• MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later
  • All MacBook Air computers
  • All MacBook Pro computers with Retina display
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later; MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and later

Most older Mac notebooks have removable batteries you can replace yourself. Contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for assistance servicing a removable battery.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

MacBook Pro Retina (Retina, Mid 2012), Battery issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.