Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Schematic and Parts - 85 watt Magsafe 2 Power Adapter

I am developing a proof of concept project. I found the connector end of the 85 watt Magsafe2 Power Adapter has the pins I want for my project. Specifically, the pins are the gold, spring loaded, retracting pin. I would like to get information on the supplier of the these pins and the part number. Attached is picture of the pins:

User uploaded file

Thank you for the help and information.

Regards,

Jim Sparkman

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 6:32 AM

6 replies

Feb 25, 2016 4:48 AM in response to sparky127

Jim, those pins are called spring loaded pins, often colloquially referred to as "pogo pins" for which there are a variety of suppliers. In addition to power another typical use is for JTAG connectors.

They are specified in a mind-boggling array of different inner and outer pin diameters, compressed and uncompressed lengths, maximum and minimum spring forces, tip shapes and dimensions, current limits, and materials.

The good news is they are not expensive, so order a variety and determine which best suits your needs. I can guarantee that determining the particular vendor Apple uses or their part numbers will be futile, but they almost certainly use more than one supplier.

Feb 25, 2016 5:29 AM in response to sparky127

For prototyping purposes I suggest using straight pins (no flange) inserted into a single inline header socket strip. You can push the pins into their respective sockets without concerns about soldering directly to the pins. Just be very careful about the socket dimensions. The pin diameter can be thousandth or two over that of the socket, and they will stay firmly in place. More than that and you won't be able to insert the pin. Too loose and they'll fall out.

Here is one supplier (not necessarily Apple's): https://www.emulation.com/catalog/pogo/

Your head will spin determining the parameters appropriate for your project. That's the hardest part. For frequent insertion and removal vs. one time testing (a typical application) I recommend using a hemispherical or concave tip shape. Sharp tips (serrated, trident, spear, hexagonal... ) make better contact especially with oxidized or contaminated surfaces but will eventually remove the plating, assuming the contact surfaces are plated.

Schematic and Parts - 85 watt Magsafe 2 Power Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.