You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I view and save a jpeg image on my iPad Air?

How do I view and save jpeg images downloaded from a website on my iPad Air iOS 9.2.1 Or iPhone 6 iOS 9.2.1

it automatically states save to Dropbox. But I can't view it in Dropbox. Is there another app I can use to view and save jpegs in?

iPad Air, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 10:11 AM

11 replies

Feb 24, 2016 10:46 AM in response to Shebee123

What others are talking about is viewing pictures on web pages and saving them to your iPad. Your issue is related to downloading photos from a photography website that sells their pictures. It looks like they use Dropbox to store the photos and those aren't really JPG files. They are ZIP files. Your JPG photo(s) are in the ZIP file(s) and must be extracted out of the ZIP. ZIP files will not go to Photos app.

What happens if you tap "Open in Dropbox"?

Feb 24, 2016 11:41 AM in response to Shebee123

There are some iOS apps you can use to extract ZIP files. Here's one (looks like this app supports cloud storage, a perfect solution for you): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/izip-zip-unzip-unrar-tool/id413971331?mt=8

I don't use any of those iOS apps. I find it easier to do it on my PC.

I don't know about Apple computers, Windows has been capable of opening/extracting ZIP files since 2002 (Windows XP). No additional software needed.

Feb 24, 2016 11:30 AM in response to Shebee123

That's not a JPEG, that's a Zip file.

You'll need an App capable of decompressing the Zip file to get to the image.

At this point you only get Dropbox as an option because it's the only App you have that can handle a Zip file.

There are Zip opening apps in the App Store. Try WinZip its free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/winzip-leading-zip-unzip-cloud/id500637987?mt=8

Once you have winZip installed, try downloading the picture again. You should get an extra "Open In" option in Safari.

User uploaded file

Once the Zipped archive is open in Winzip or any other Zip app, you should get a list of files inside you can view directly in WinZip, or you can copy them to your camera roll using the User uploaded file icon

How can I view and save a jpeg image on my iPad Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.