Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

custom smart mailbox for iOS iPhone iPad

Ok I know that smart mailboxes don't sync from iMac to iPhone, iPad etc

And yes I know that I can create default smart mailboxes on iPhone, iPad, etc

But can I create CUSTOM smart mailboxes on iPhone, iPad, etc?

thank you!!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 7:16 PM

This is a huge set back that I'm surprised hasn't been resolved yet. Standard mailboxes aren't great because they require explicit moving into those folders instead of automatic filtering. I want to be able to simply click my smart mailbox on my iOS device so I can access all relevenat comms to those rules.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2017 7:16 PM in response to kimac

This is a huge set back that I'm surprised hasn't been resolved yet. Standard mailboxes aren't great because they require explicit moving into those folders instead of automatic filtering. I want to be able to simply click my smart mailbox on my iOS device so I can access all relevenat comms to those rules.

Nov 13, 2016 7:31 AM in response to kimac

It is astounding to say the least that not a single guru took the time to answer you. I will give you the conclusion I have reached as of this moment.

It appears that there is no way of creating or importing smart mailboxes in iOS, none. And this defeats their usefulness quitte nicely if you have a computer, an iPhone and/or an iPad.

If you organise your emails on your Mac with smart boxes, you will not see those on your devices, but of course the emails will still be in your inbox anyway.

You can also create as you surely know standard mailboxes on your mac or your devices and you will see them everywhere. But in that case, using rules in order to organise your emails will not work on your devices. Emails will be placed in standard mailboxes on any computer or device but the change will not appear on the other devices. You could solve this if you could create rules on your iPhone or iPad, but you cannot do that either, there are no rules in iOS Mail.

I am presuming here that you are using IMAP accounts.

The only way I know to have rules working on standard mailboxes, rules that would apply on all devices, is to have a dedicated computer like a Mac mini (don't need keyboard or display after setting) that downloads the emails on a constant basis. When you open your iPhone or your main computer, you will then see the changes and the correct email organization in standard, not smart, mailboxes.

If I am wrong, I would be glad if a guru told me so right here.

Good luck with this.

custom smart mailbox for iOS iPhone iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.