Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro cores overloading with just two virtual instruments

I have just created a new project in Logic 9.1.8 on my early 2008 Mac Pro (2 x 2.8 GHz quad core, 14Gb RAM). Samples and recording are done on dedicated HDs, not the Mac's main drive. OS 10.9.5

I have opened just two software instruments, NI Battery 3 on one track, Arturia Vox V on the second... and do not have ANY inserts/effects running... yet the 8th core of the Mac is overloading, causing distortion. Even at rest Core 8 is nearly maxed, while 1-7 are doing nothing.

I have had this issue before when I have had a lot of software instruments and inserts running, then I have used the trick of selecting on an audio track. However I am currently playing the Vox V, so I need to have its track selected.

I have read the Apple document Logic 9.1.4 or later: Core Audio System Overload messages - Apple Support and there is nothing else there I can do.

I find it really hard to believe that this is happening with just two software instruments in use and nothing else.

Is there anything else I can try?

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 1:02 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2016 10:52 PM in response to Robin Johnson

Bumping this thread as I'm still having the same problem. The only workaround I've found so far is to select an audio track every time I play back, which is a complete pain in the arse when I am writing on those instruments as I continually edit-play-edit-play (etc).

Apparently LPX suffers from the same issue. I find it hard to believe that this has obviously been an issue for years, yet the boffins at Apple have not bothered to deliver a solution.

Mac Pro cores overloading with just two virtual instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.