Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use two monitors on Mac Mini late 2012

Hello,

I currently am using only one monitor (A Dell S2340M 23") with my late 2012 Mac Mini (With these ports: Mac mini (Late 2012): External ports and connectors - Apple Support), and I am interested in adding a second monitor, something at around the same size as my current one. How would I connect two monitors to my Mac? Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Dell S2340M 23" monitor

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 1:33 PM

5 replies

Feb 24, 2016 2:14 PM in response to TwoSeven27

The support article for Mac Mini (Late 2012) shows and details which ports can do what.

So you'd probably need to get a Thunderbolt adapter to use a second display, it seems.

See the listed items to connect to Thunderbolt port in the link you posted. I've the same

link bookmarked from more than a year ago...

I have a Late 2012 Mac Mini i7, while only using one Apple Cinema (aluminum) display.

Another option would be also buy a Thunderbolt multiple port dock. Some allow many other

products, & duplicate ports. (Up to 12 items, from USB3.0, Thundebolt, etc) not cheap. A

few displays may allow daisy-chain; note MiniDisplay looks like a Thunderbolt port but may

not act like one. The adapters may allow minidisplay to run from Thunderbolt. See support

article and then refer to Apple store page of display adapters.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/

OWC also has an external optical drive with several ports built-in (with extra HDD).

Good luck! 🙂

Feb 24, 2016 2:17 PM in response to TwoSeven27

The HDMI port can drive a 1920x1200 max with either an monitor with HDMI or by using a HDMI>DVI adopter

The Thunderbolt port can drive :

- 2650x1660 max with a monitor with displayport/mini displayport input or a dual-link DVI input using the $99 mini displayport>dual-link adopter, or a monitor with HDMI input if you use a high resolution mini displayport>HDMI adopter

- 1920x1200 max with mini displayport>DVI, or VGA adopter

Use two monitors on Mac Mini late 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.