Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the best word processor for mac?

What is the best word processor for mac?

Mac OS X (10.7), Photoshop does not work with Lion

Posted on Feb 25, 2016 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2017 1:50 PM

A mature staple in the academic world, Mellel, a superbly versatile program that is also multi-language capable (including Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew). It’s academic orientation gives it features like bibliographic links to the staples Bookends or Sente, and superb footnote and endnote management, but it is also a fine general-purpose wordprocessor, equally capable in the home office or small business setting. I have used it for academic papers, and several academic and nonacademic book length projects.

Other features include palette or keyboard based styles controls addressing character, paragraph, list, section, page and table management. While it is possible to simply start a new blank document and begin typing or dictating (I routinely use it with Dragon or OSX's built in speech-to-text, a slightly watered down version of Dragon), Mellel comes with more than 35 document templates, ranging from envelopes to scripts, including a variety of journal article formats. Users can also create their own templates with as little or as much detail as desired. In typical Mac style, Mellel’s toolbar can be user configured, allowing a variety of commonly used tools to always be in quick mousing range. The program also allows multiuser editing with change tracking and annotations.

Mellel includes iCloud support and a very competent iOS/iPad version is available, so documents can be edited anywhere. Output formats include plaintext, RTF, Word, OPML, PDF and of course, printing.

Mellel is reasonably priced and is available from www.mellel.com or Apple’s app stores. Academic pricing is available from the company website store. A fully featured 30 day trial download is available. The trial version unfortunately watermarks output. As an authorised developer, no tricks are required to open the Mellel installer.

I have used Mellel since 2004, and remain a very happy customer. The company behind the program, Redlex has produced regular and well conceived updates since its introduction in 2002. I have never experienced an update to repair a previous update, a problem that seems to haunt smaller companies, nor have I ever been unable to use the program because of OS updates. Redlex charges only for major updates. My current version is 3.5.2b2, meaning I have been charged only twice for updates in more than 12 years of use.

No, I am not a paid endorser. I just really like the program.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2017 1:50 PM in response to johnnrogers

A mature staple in the academic world, Mellel, a superbly versatile program that is also multi-language capable (including Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew). It’s academic orientation gives it features like bibliographic links to the staples Bookends or Sente, and superb footnote and endnote management, but it is also a fine general-purpose wordprocessor, equally capable in the home office or small business setting. I have used it for academic papers, and several academic and nonacademic book length projects.

Other features include palette or keyboard based styles controls addressing character, paragraph, list, section, page and table management. While it is possible to simply start a new blank document and begin typing or dictating (I routinely use it with Dragon or OSX's built in speech-to-text, a slightly watered down version of Dragon), Mellel comes with more than 35 document templates, ranging from envelopes to scripts, including a variety of journal article formats. Users can also create their own templates with as little or as much detail as desired. In typical Mac style, Mellel’s toolbar can be user configured, allowing a variety of commonly used tools to always be in quick mousing range. The program also allows multiuser editing with change tracking and annotations.

Mellel includes iCloud support and a very competent iOS/iPad version is available, so documents can be edited anywhere. Output formats include plaintext, RTF, Word, OPML, PDF and of course, printing.

Mellel is reasonably priced and is available from www.mellel.com or Apple’s app stores. Academic pricing is available from the company website store. A fully featured 30 day trial download is available. The trial version unfortunately watermarks output. As an authorised developer, no tricks are required to open the Mellel installer.

I have used Mellel since 2004, and remain a very happy customer. The company behind the program, Redlex has produced regular and well conceived updates since its introduction in 2002. I have never experienced an update to repair a previous update, a problem that seems to haunt smaller companies, nor have I ever been unable to use the program because of OS updates. Redlex charges only for major updates. My current version is 3.5.2b2, meaning I have been charged only twice for updates in more than 12 years of use.

No, I am not a paid endorser. I just really like the program.

Feb 25, 2016 8:11 AM in response to Csound1

I moved from AppleWorks to Pages 4 and this worked quite well for me, but when Apple crippled the program with v5 (though of course v4 still works) I decided to bale out and finished up with Nisus Writer Pro. I'm happy with this (and the text at least can always be retrieved as it saves in .rtf, though images won't come over to for example Textedit) despite a few minor hiccups - the most annoying of which is an inability to lock images or object to avoid moving them accidentally.

Word of course is favourite if you need to exchange with other people a lot, but its a cluttered mess and very expensive.

Feb 25, 2016 10:27 AM in response to johnnrogers

Personally, I use Word with an Office 365 Home subscription.

I require full compatibility in a corporate environment that has standardized on Word, and my wife is taking post-grad classes and the university requires papers and documents to be submitted in word format. We've found that alternative applications that are 'compatible' with the .doc and .docx format create unacceptably formatted documents for submission.

what is the best word processor for mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.