Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Display Staining Summary

Hi All,

Having spent the last few days digging around trying to find out the latest information on the "delamination of the anti-reflective coating on the Retina displays" (or stains as others are refering to them), I thought I'd post my findings, to save others spending as much time on it as I did. The information is all from Apple and therefore I do hope I'm not breaking any rules as this information, as far as I am aware, is public and available to anyone who asks. It could be that someone has already posted this, but I couldn't find it here.

It seems, these are the models that Apple believes may be affected by the delamination:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch Mid 2012)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Note the last line - this appears to suggest, unless anyone can correct me, that the current MacBook Pro models on sale in the Apple Store (i.e. the Mid 2015 Model, currently on sale in February 2016) may also be affected by the recall. This was confirmed as a possibility by Apple in the US and Ireland, who, might I add, were most helpful.

My concerns arose when I read reports that some replacement screens were also delaminating. This suggested, if correct, that the issue has not yet been corrected at manufacture. It could be however that the screens have somehow been changed over the past few months, but no one could confirm that that was the case.

Clearly not all units may be affected, but which ones are, and why they are, remains unknown (to me at least).

I do not own a MacBook Pro, nor am complaining about this issue, just summarising my findings. I was set on purchasing an Apple laptop for specific purposes, which needed the power of an i7 quad core processor. I am a little stuck as to what I will now do. I am clearly hesistant to buy such a high end laptop, with apparently known, and fairly major, issues concerning the display.

If anyone can correct or add to this summary, please do, otherwise I hope this helps someone.

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 25, 2016 10:08 AM

14 replies

Jun 21, 2017 12:09 PM in response to Flashster

I have a Macbook Pro 15 retina that I purchased in October 2016 and have just noticed little bubbles appearing along the left side edge of the screen.

I took it to Curry's today as it is stil within the first year warranty and were about to send it off for repairs before I stopped and needed to consider whether or not this is a common problem. From doing a quick online check this does appear to be a major problem.

Surely, for an item that costs £1500.00 it should be working without such events. Are there any successful owners who have managed to fully replace the entire unit or is it just the screen?

Sep 12, 2017 4:40 AM in response to Flashster

Thanks this was very helpful, and i now know enough to send the machine in to service. Talked to the local apple dealer - and he confirmed this problem - my screen is tainted with these stains all over. Started on top but now it covers most of it.. The thing is, they need my mac for 7 to 9 DAYS! One week without my working tool - just because APPLE again is trying to save money on one of the most expensive computers out there? And without no compensation?

Really disappointed - my last mac had the battery exploded..

My next working tool might not be from Apple!

C.Joergensen Norway.

Feb 25, 2016 11:47 PM in response to Flashster

Some suggestions are saying a thin peice of leather placed on the keys when closing the laptop, used to be common practice on the first titanium laptops when the screen used to get marked.

The confusing thing that if you look at the marks of the keys I see on this forum, it looks like the delamination is happening _between_ the keys. Someon mentioned that gassing coming from between the keys may be to blame.

Perhaps the leather/cloth may allow the gases to escape and not damage the screen..?

One person has described how they had their screen replaced for other reasons, and the replacement screen started delaminating. This would suggest the later screens are weaker and so perhaps more susceptible.

Any other suggestions on how to proctect screen anyone?

Dec 11, 2016 5:21 AM in response to Flashster

I own a mid-2015 (purchased around February 2016) that sits pretty on its stand with the lid open, screen off 99% of the time with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse connected. At most, the laptop left the house maybe 5 times this year.

Each time I go to give the screen a wipe with the supplied cleaner there are tiny bubbles in it that slowly grow in size if left unattended. So far I've been able to make them go away by gently "pressing" on them with the cloth, but they always come back on a laptop that is rarely physically touched and the lid never closed.

It's my belief that the problem has not been solved (though perhaps addressed). Honestly, given that this is my very first Apple product and the cost of the laptop, the issue doesn't really inspire me much confidence in the company.

Retina Display Staining Summary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.