Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay display works as extended display but will not stream from itunes library

On a MBP and can use my apple TV as an extended desktop but if I try to stream a video from my iTunes library I get an error message saying the network connection timed out. This does not happen all the time, and sometimes it works flawlessly, other times may take 3 or 4 attempts to stream and sometimes it doesn't matter what I do (including restarting Apple TV, MBP etc) it just will not work. Even when it will not work I can use the air play display to show my Desktop etc on the TV via the Apple TV, and I can also just mirror my phone or ipad at any time with no issues. All software is up to date on both my MBP and Apple TV. Just starting to get really annoying when trying to watch homemade videos etc and not being able to. Is any one able to offer a solution?

AppleTV 2, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 25, 2016 6:11 PM

3 replies

Feb 25, 2016 7:13 PM in response to kneemick

It sounds like you are using Airplay and trying to play iTunes content and watch it via Airplay.

If so, you would be better off using Home Share and streaming the home videos that way. It uses buffering and is less of a burden on your network.

Using Airplay does not allow buffering and as such taxes your network.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

Feb 26, 2016 11:56 PM in response to kneemick

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

FWIW.

If you stream as you say from iTunes and don't use mirroring, then iTunes sends the file to the Apple TV to decode and play. It can send it as fast as the network and write capabilities of the Apple TV will let it, providing a healthy buffer.

airplay display works as extended display but will not stream from itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.