Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet Card Not Being Detected On My iMac 20-inch Early 2008

Hello

A few days ago my ethernet started playing up on my mac. I tried different cables and routers but no fix. All my other devices are fine through the same port. I tried deleting and then adding a configuration on the network tab of system preferences but now the ethernet option is gone.

User uploaded file

I then went into system information and found a nasty message:

User uploaded file

I really need help. Wi-Fi just isn't good enough for me.

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 12:15 AM

21 replies

Feb 27, 2016 3:35 AM in response to jameswags

Coincidentally I've just started having this problem, too. Last night all was ok and I turned by Mac off before hitting the bed; this morning the built-in NIC is no longer detected and I have the exact symptoms you have.

A few extras:

1) I have boot camp, and the NIC still works perfectly when booted into Windows

2) I use a powerline adapter, and the light indicates the cable is plugged in; as soon as I unplug the end from my mac, it goes out

3) I did SMC and PRAM reset to no avail

4) I booted into diagnostics and all was ok; I carried on to the bit where you can browse the support site, and it worked even with wifi disabled, so clearly it was going off my wired connection

5) I booted into recovery and had the same experience as in point 4 - the nic was working perfectly

So all this seems to point to something being off on the OS itself.

Feb 27, 2016 4:09 AM in response to jameswags

Looks like this may be down to a stealth security update pushed out that's broken the BCM5701 driver. It's discussed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/47tfos/warning_software_update_03151913_ breaks_ethernet/

I was considering trying to roll back the exclusion, but it sounds like a bit of a pain, frankly, so I think I'll just hold fire for the weekend and use wifi and hope it gets fixed by Monday.

Feb 27, 2016 5:16 AM in response to Nico Rohrbach

Definitely a long way! Hopefully they've disabled the update so you don't get it pushed again.

For those that have a recent Time Machine backup, you can restore the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext file mentioned in the link I added in my earlier thread by:

1. Boot into recovery mode (Cmd-R)
  2. Disable system integrity (open terminal from recovery and enter csrutil disable)
  3. Reboot into Mac OS
  4. Restore the file from the previous time machine backup (the bad file was dated a day or so ago, the version in my recent time machine backup was dated back in December; you can browse to the /System folder by pressing Shift-Cmd-G and entering the path)
  5. Enable system integrity (open terminal from recovery and enter csrutil enable)
  6. Reboot into Mac OS

Feb 27, 2016 7:22 AM in response to jameswags

Same problem here, on iMac 27", early 2013. I called Apple Support. They advised me to reinstall (data was kept). No luck. Second advise: restore from time machine to last backup of Feb 26th. Im reluctant to do this, as it will take time (again) and then, will the problem stay away? Will use Wifi for the time being.

And yes, this Mac has the BCM5701:

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2016 7:34 AM in response to bertwela

I can see that I had the "Incompatible Kernel Extension Configuration Data" install version 3.28.1 last night. I have a late 2009 27" iMac.

One thing that is strange on my Mac is that if I look for my Ethernet Cards nothing comes up. I am connected via WiFi right now but normally I don't have WiFi on and just connect using a LAN cable.

User uploaded file

Ethernet Card Not Being Detected On My iMac 20-inch Early 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.