Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems burning discs with Toast

I am having problems burning discs using Toast. I had this with my old Toast 10 and the problem persists despite an upgrade to Toast Titanium 14, so I deduce that the problem is with my mac rather than Toast. This happens with all types of discs but is less common with data discs which aren't too big. I get pop-up messages such as :-

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x0C

WRITE ERROR

I've defraged my disc and done checks with TechTool Pro but that doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 3:49 AM

8 replies

Feb 27, 2016 7:30 AM in response to Rob Bartholomew

That error is a response being received from the drive, by Toast. That means that the drive has reported specific class (key) and type (code) error. In this case, involving a class of errors arising with the recording medium, and the specific error being returned is a write error. This means that the write failed. Why the write failed is not returned — neither the drive nor Toast particularly knows that.

Apply the current patches for your version of Toast, if you're not already current. This can fix incompatibilities with specific sorts of recording media and with how certain drives work. There's a lot more variability here both with media and with drives than most folks realize. Try a recording different drive. Try different media — an entirely different brand, preferably. Try an optical-media cleaning disk. Dusty heads can cause these sorts of errors. Definitely try recording at the lowest speed that the device and medium will allow, too.

Then — if the above fails — please report the problem and the specific recording media being used (there can be recording-related settings data present on optical media, data which is intended to help the drive adapt to the specific media), and the specific model of optical drive, to the folks at Roxio.

Defragging disks and tech tools and the rest are probably not relevant here, unfortunately. (I don't recall off-hand if a failure to get data to the disk fast enough — what defragmenting is intended to address — shows as a write error or not, but I wouldn't bet on there being any sane matching with any of the optical device errors. Optical drives are sketchy and semi-unreliable devices in general, no two firmware revisions of optical drives ever respond the same and sometimes not even two drives with the same firmware revision, optical drives get increasingly sketchy with age, and the optical media itself can be marvelously flaky. This from having written more than a little optical-recording software.)

Feb 27, 2016 7:53 AM in response to MrHoffman

When I started burning CDRs, a good many years ago, I got a lot of these errors. At one time I was getting a 40% failure rate. I had started by burning at a low speed - 2 times or possibly it was even real time for audio disks - and still got errors. I then upped it to the highest speed available - probably only 8 x at that time - and the failure rate dropped dramatically. I concluded that it wasn't so much a failure to keep up that was causing the problem, but that the slow speed gave that much longer for something to go wrong. I also settled on TDK blanks after a number of experiments.

Nowadays I don't get any problems at all burning at the highest available rate with an external (Apple) drive or with the built in drive in my older iMac. Drives can be a bit touchy about the make, so it's worth trying different ones.

Mar 12, 2016 2:50 AM in response to Rob Bartholomew

Thanks one and all for all your help and advice. 🙂

Here is an update:-

I am using Taiyo Yuden discs (and have done for a long time).

I've tried a variety of burn speeds.

I've bought a Philips DVD lens cleaner and used it.

All to no avail.

Now I've borrowed a friends Samsung Portable DVD Writer Model SE-208 and it burnt me a disc first time with no problems - a full capacity audio CD. So I now conclude that the problem is with my internal disc drive (which still reads without problem).

I'm going to buy an external disc burner of my own but has anyone any advice as to how I might get my built-in drive burning again?

Thanks

Rob

Mar 12, 2016 10:06 AM in response to Rob Bartholomew

Swap it. Barring a fuzzball somewhere obvious or something of that ilk, the slot loaders — and optical drives in general — are usually more effort and cost to repair than — once you have the box open — to just replace the drive. There are instructions posted around the 'net, if you are interested in pursuing the repair or the replacement yourself.

Problems burning discs with Toast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.