Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovering keychain items lost in power surge

I was recently on my dad's computer, which is running OS10.6, when the house lost power briefly (1 to 2 seconds at most) during a thunderstorm.

When the power came back, the computer seemed fine, the applications all worked fine, but some of the user settings were lost.He did knothole a back-up disk and was not running Time Machine. I don't much care that my profile on the solitaire game was lost. And I easily reset the mail accounts in Mail. But I lost all the items in the Keychain.

My father died six months before this happened. And as Executrix of his estate, I was depending on the Keychain to get me into his online accounts. Is there any way that I can recover those settings? Since all his documents and downloads are still in their respective folders, I am hoping that I can get the passwords back in the Keychain... once I know where they are actually stored.

***NOTE: I am not trying to bypass Keychain. I know the administrator password for the computer. So I don't need to break the security features. I just need to locate the saved items.***

I hope I am posting to the correct forum. I can't decide which is appropriate.

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 2:40 PM

2 replies

recovering keychain items lost in power surge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.