Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install El Capitan

My OS is 10.6.8, I tried to install El Capitan but upon installing prompt is saying that, " the disk is used for time machine backups". What should I do to get it to install?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 8:12 PM

10 replies

Feb 27, 2016 8:40 PM in response to sle5392

I have Time Machine Backup on my MAC, yes but have never used it. There's no folders created from it, also its currently "OFF". The only reason I knew I even had it was from the KB article. I did what it said and looked up that backups.backupdb file in Finder and even made sure with spotlight. Nothing. Yes, I know I should really reconsider backing up files and everything on my MAC. But I don't really have anything on it that would be important to lose.

Feb 27, 2016 8:53 PM in response to sle5392

Sorry, but the error wouldn't if Time Machine did not attempt to start a backup folder on your startup volume somewhere. Might I suggest you download EasyFind 4.9.3 to search. Much better than Spotlight.

How to safely use MacUpdate to download malware-free software:*

This site has both free and paid membership accounts. If you have neither then some software will be distributed as an installer wrapper that includes adware/malware you may not want. Such a download may appear on your computer like this: Firefox Installer.dmg. Delete the download and return to the main site where you will find a direct link to the developer's website. Use that link from which to download the software.

To avoid such downloads from MU just create a free membership account. Log into your account prior to using the site. This will avoid the installer wrappers and downloading adware or malware. I continue to use their site without any problems.

If you prefer not to create a membership account then note that on the download page under the price box will be the link to the developer’s site. Use that link and download the software directly from the developer circumventing the use of MU altogether.

*You merely need to establish a free or paid membership to avoid problems getting adware with your download.

Unable to install El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.