Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay to new Apple TV3 mouse/curser is blocked on the right side of screen

I have a 13'' Macbook pro late 2013

When I airplay to my new apple tv the mouse or the curser on the screen will only move on the left side of the screen. Or ,it acts like there is a wall in the middle the screen that prevents it from going anywhere on the right side of screen. When I use the track pad to move to the right it stops near the middle and won't go anywhere on the right side.....strange. Can someone help with this

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Apple TV 64GB

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 7:18 PM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2016 7:35 PM in response to jeffht

I've had this same exact issue with the new Apple TV 4th Gen A1625 runing tvOS 9.2

Mid-2015 Macbook Pro 15" OSX 10.11.4

Really makes Airplay pretty useless. It's actually probably worse than yours as I can only use about 1/4 of the left side of my screen. Which means I can't even mouse to the Airplay icon in the top toolbar to turn it off. I have to clamshell my Macbook to terminate Airplay to regain usable control over my machine.

Apr 24, 2016 8:29 PM in response to Gastr1c

What is multiple monitor setting set to when Airplay is engaged?

OS X: How to use multiple displays with your Mac in Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support

Are you mirroring or extended display?

Try toggling off mirror and rearranging the secondary monitor to the opposite side of the main monitor and see if things change.

Note: Don't get hung up on the articles OS level. It has some nice screen shots that illustrate the multiple monitor setup.

Sep 2, 2016 11:14 AM in response to jeffht

I experienced this problem. When it occurred, the Airplay connection was being made by going into System Preferences > Displays > and then choosing the Airplay display from the drop down box at the bottom left of that window.

The problem did not occur when I connected Airplay a different way.

When in that same window, I checked the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" check box.

Once that check box is checked, then there is an icon at the top of the Mac (same row as the Apple menu) which looks like a monitor or TV screen. When I clicked on that icon in order to make the Airplay connection, there was no mysterious "wall" preventing the mouse from moving from the little area at the upper left. My mouse then had free reign!

I hope this helps.

Sep 14, 2016 2:50 PM in response to jeffht

I was able to reproduce this on any MacBook Pro running 10.11.6 (have not tested on other versions). I have found two workarounds for this issue. The first one is to make sure the Retina display is on the right side in display arrangement after connecting as separate displays. Second, set the Retina display as the primary in arrangement. Those both worked for me every time I tried connecting afterwards. Seems to be a bug in the OS. Let me know if that works.

Airplay to new Apple TV3 mouse/curser is blocked on the right side of screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.