Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep my mac plugged in when possible or not?

Hello.

I am using a Retina MacbookPro,15.4". I think it is the mid 2015, 256 GB model.

I know this had been covered many times, but there always seems to have been conflicting views so I am asking again:

Should I keep my mac plugged in all the time( for example, when I am at home and work/game (don't laugh) on it) or charge it to full, let it discharge to 20% and the recharge? I am worried about the second option because it will eat away battery cycles. (and mine only has 1000 of them).

I am leaning towards keeping it plugged whenever possible, with a weekly discharge to 20% and then plugging it back it.

Please advise me on what is best. Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2016 7:56 PM

Keep it plugged in when you are working near an AC outlet. It won't harm it. Use it on battery when you are mobile or not near an AC outlet. It's a good idea to allow the battery to drop to around 10% before recharging. This will prolong the life of the battery.

About Batteries in Modern Apple Laptops

Battery University

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Apple - Batteries

Extending the Life of Your Laptop Battery

MacBook and MacBook Pro- Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A-C adaptor

Apple Portables- Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Mac notebooks- Determining battery cycle count

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2016 7:56 PM in response to Rhademes

Keep it plugged in when you are working near an AC outlet. It won't harm it. Use it on battery when you are mobile or not near an AC outlet. It's a good idea to allow the battery to drop to around 10% before recharging. This will prolong the life of the battery.

About Batteries in Modern Apple Laptops

Battery University

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Apple - Batteries

Extending the Life of Your Laptop Battery

MacBook and MacBook Pro- Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A-C adaptor

Apple Portables- Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Mac notebooks- Determining battery cycle count

Feb 27, 2016 8:00 PM in response to Rhademes

I leave mine plugged in most of the time, and use it down to 40%-50% at least once a month. 20% is a bit low ... 30%-40% is better.

1000 cycles is an "average expected". Some people get 600 cycles, others get 1500. The best indicator of "end of life", other than "replace battery" signal, is that the current "max charge" is 80% or less of "design". You can download "Battery Health" from the App Store to know when this occurs.

Keep my mac plugged in when possible or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.