Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Restore 'Apple Logo Loop' Using iTunes [Error Code (9)- iPhone 4s

Hey There,

I am writing this Question to mainly receive help in order to fix my Phone as well as help anyone else with the same or similar issues in future if it can be resolved as I wasn't able to get the answers to my issue and I'm sure that I'm not alone in this, Hence the emphasis on details.

Specifications:

Phone: iPhone 4s

iOS Version: Unsure, however it is most probably 9.1, definitely not 9.2.1

iTunes Version: 12.3.2.35 (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) [Signed into my Apple ID]

Warranty: N/A

Background:

I discovered my iPhone 4s restarting over and over again earlier today, I shows the apple logo for about 5 seconds before going black, turning off and restarting all on its own.

Issue:

I have plugged in my iPhone to iTunes, to Restore and Update (Mandatory) the device, However even when the Device is in Recovery Mode (When itunes logo and 30-pin/lighting cable are visible on screen) or DFU mode (when iTunes recognizes the Device but the screen is off) [link to DFU mode tutorial; Re: DFU mode to Restore], iTunes is unable to restore the device.

Breakdown of events:

1. After Pressing 'Restore and Update', the progress bar under the Title 'Extracting Software' completes smoothly, meanwhile the device shows the Recovery Mode graphics.

2. Once 'Extracting Software' is completed, title changes to 'Waiting for iPhone' on iTunes, this title does not change, meanwhile the phone switches off, screen goes blank.

3. Shortly after, the phone turns it self on, the Apple logo appears, a small loading wheel appears in the bottom of the screen.

4. The loading wheel disappears, a new loading bar appears below the Apple logo on screen but no progress is made.

5. The screen goes blank one more time, before turning back on to show the same iTunes logo and Cable sign (Recovery Mode).

6. An error message pops up on iTunes stating; 'The iPhone "[name of device]" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9).

I have tried to Restore through iTunes on two different Windows Laptops with the latest iTunes version and One Brand new desktop with a fresh install of the latest iTunes software, yet the same sequence of events repeats itself, no matter what I try (Even removing the SIM Card). Should I install an older version of iOS? (.ispw file), If so how and where can I get it from?.

This issue has rendered my iPhone useless, which is a major inconvenience as I do not have another phone to use as replacement. Please do suggest ways to fix my Phone, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking You

Anon

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 6:22 AM

5 replies

Feb 28, 2016 4:30 PM in response to PRNi4s

Also, I am certain that the cable I am using is a relatively new, store bought original 30-pin cable, and the USB ports on my computer (Attached to the motherboard) works perfectly fine, I know this as I have tried every single USB port on my computer, all of which has no issues for other devices.

Feb 28, 2016 4:45 PM in response to PRNi4s

Check your security software

Errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1611, 9006.

Sometimes security software can stop your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't blocking a connection to the Apple servers.

If you still see the error message, check for USB connection issues.

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2016 4:59 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I Had the very sand problem with my 4s not to long ago one important thing I didn't see you mention is how many gb is your phone with this issue I am going to make an assumption that it is a 16gb it may also be a storage issue. Which I run into a lot. BTW I work for a Berizon retailer and that in no way is influencing me telling you this but it is probably time to trade it in on a newer model. The 4s just can't handle all the updates and what we expect them to do now. I would also suggest when doing this you go ahead and upgrade to the 128 gb model only because you obliviously are not the consumer that needs to have the latest model and tend to hang on to them for a while. When we were selling the 4s we would have never have thought that someone would need more then 32 gb of storage. That being said who knows how much you might need in another 5 years. But back to the question I do see a good amount of 4s with this problem my expertise storage but that is nothing compared to all the android problems. They build a phone designed to last 2 years. If you plan ahead for your storage your iPhone will last until you are done with it

Unable to Restore 'Apple Logo Loop' Using iTunes [Error Code (9)- iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.