Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do we need the latest iPhone to develop apps

I am just asking this because if I am stuck on a 2 year contract, and I wanted an iPhone 7 when it was released, but I don't have enough money to pay the contract ditch, will I need the latest phone to develop an app? If I don't have a phone, or any iOS device, will my app fail? I am making apps like camera apps, even some social apps, and a lot of things, if I publish Hello World, will my app be rejected?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1, White Gold

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 4:05 PM

You don't really need to own an iOS device to develop Apps.

XCode comes with a built in device emulator to test your Apps.

It's recommended to test your Apps on actual devices, but it's not a requirement for building one.

26 replies

Feb 28, 2016 4:04 PM in response to iOSAndroidRebel

Hi there,

No it is not necessary to have the latest iPhone for developing an application.

If you are new to programming, you must know, that there are simulators for each iDevice you want on xCode. When you have set up at least an interface, you may choose the simulator you want to run your App on. If you want to run your App on your own iPhone, you have to allow installing apps from unknown developers in the settings.

Hope this helps.

Feb 28, 2016 4:10 PM in response to iOSAndroidRebel

It is also recommended that you do not test apps on daily use devices, in case there is a problem. You mention that you are in contract with the phone, so it makes me believe this is your only device. If this is your daily use phone, if there is a problem with the app, you could find yourself without a phone for a bit, until you are able to restore the phone. If you want to test on a phone after working with the simulator, then I suggest looking for a used device. Since the iPhone 4s will still run iOS 9.2.1, you could use one of them, until you could afford something else, since you indicate wanting to develop 3D Touch apps.

Mar 15, 2016 9:50 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

XCode comes with a built in device emulator simulator to test your Apps.

Fixed that for you - the simulator is not an emulator and only runs a stack built for i386. Best to not ask your users to test your app for you....they won't be using a simulator 😉

Also note that these days, you need at least one device added to the Member Center to be able to generate provisioning for the store.

Mar 15, 2016 9:53 PM in response to iOSAndroidRebel

Depends on the testing you have in mind as to which you use for testing. There may be screen elements you want to verify on each.

As for 'daily phone', it's quite common for devs to use those for testing, so I see no big deal in using both, if you so desire. What isn't so common is to recommend putting a beta iOS on your daily device due to the typical risks involved with betas in general.

Do we need the latest iPhone to develop apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.