Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am a quadriplegic trying to use Siri… Many problems

as a quadriplegic, I am trying to use Siri, but there are too many commands that have to be coupled with physical contact of the phone. I cannot do that. There is no way that I know of to hang up the phone, use of voice tree when you call a company, edit messages you are trying to send, turn off alarms… And that is just the beginning. Is there anyone else in this situation?

Also, can you point me to a better guide for using Siri only without hands?

Thanks – Doug

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), using Dragon Dictate

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 12:50 PM

To be honest, I'm not aware of a guide specifically for using Siri without hands. Do you happen to use a stylus for anything else, one that you may hold in your mouth? If that is the case, you may be able to find a stylus that you could use with the iPhone, but that is still going to be difficult. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of ways to use the iPhone completely via voice commands. There still seems to be a need to have some type of touch at sometime.

Have you attempted to contact Apple, and see what they have to say as far as their Accessibility accommodations are concerned?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2016 12:50 PM in response to WDMaples

To be honest, I'm not aware of a guide specifically for using Siri without hands. Do you happen to use a stylus for anything else, one that you may hold in your mouth? If that is the case, you may be able to find a stylus that you could use with the iPhone, but that is still going to be difficult. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of ways to use the iPhone completely via voice commands. There still seems to be a need to have some type of touch at sometime.

Have you attempted to contact Apple, and see what they have to say as far as their Accessibility accommodations are concerned?

Feb 28, 2016 2:20 PM in response to WDMaples

FFirst off if you have an iPhone 6s you can turn on "hey Siri" thia will allow you to use Siri hands free if it is iphone 6 or older "hey Siri" only works when charging for some reason. To turn on you go into settings>general>Siri when first turning on you will need to set up by repeating what Siri tells you to so or he can learn your voice, this is meant to keep others from coming up and saying "hey siri" and using it. Also if you go into iBooks which is an orange preloaded app on your phone and type in iPhone users guide there is an in depth users manual (free) for every feature on your phone including siri. I would also recommened you read in depth into the section on the accessibility features. This is were you will customize your phone for your own unique needs. Also on the home page of this forum there is a section just for accessibility were you can read the solutions others have come up with for more advanced issues

Feb 28, 2016 2:24 PM in response to Clinters77

AAlso you should look into getting a pair of LG Tones this is a bluetooth head set that instead of shoving it in your ear you wear around your neck and allows you to call or text truly hands free. They have them in both "ultra" model and "pro" with ultra running about $59 and the pro running $99 in your case I would recommend the pro becauae they are wireless.

Feb 28, 2016 5:12 PM in response to WDMaples

Perhaps you're part of a support group? Try asking your doctor?

The iPhone has a number of accessibility options, including the ability to set it up to work with various kinds of switches. Unfortunately, the closest thing I have to expertise is in setting phones up for people who are blind.

I did a web search for "using iPhone quadriplegic" and got a huge long list. This was near the top:

http://gettecla.com/blogs/news/14347593-iphone-and-ipad-accessibility-options-fo r-quadriplegics-and-other-users-with-lim…

You might have a bit to slog through but, you might get some ideas and suggestions.

Best of luck.

Feb 28, 2016 5:18 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

thank you for that information.I have checked with a bit of technology that is very good, but also very expensive.

right now, I am trying to work directly with my iPhone and doing more things with "Hey Siri". There are so many things it does very well, just falls short of completing the task.

It is easy enough to answer the call and make a call and send a text, but it does not give you a way of waking it up to hang up the phone. And if you dictate a text message that has errors, it doesn't give you a way to correct it. You just have to not send the message and tried to make another one.

There are just a lot of things when it doesn't let you say anything to Siri to stop an action or something else. I set the alarm, but could not turn it off when it started alarming. That kind of thing.

I think my best shot now is to go directly to Apple. Thanks to you and everyone else for replying.

Thanks – Doug

I am a quadriplegic trying to use Siri… Many problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.