Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to DVD Studio Pro? Has it been integrated somehow or use shelved?

What happened to DVD Studio Pro? Has it been integrated somehow or use shelved? Is there an alternative studio product now in X?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iBooks import to library not workin

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 7:05 PM

Apple discontinued DVD-SP in June, 2011. They're reasoning was that optical media (CD/DVD/Blu-ray) were dead delivery platforms and everything should be delivered via the cloud.

You can still purchase Toast for optical disc burning: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/

-DH

8 replies

Oct 4, 2017 11:24 PM in response to Ziatron

Totally agree. Apple doesn't realize the extent of DVD purchasers. We are already using Vimeo VOD and Amazon to sell our films, but there is still a huge list of people that demand DVDs. We have to provide them with what they want. After the past 7 years, we've sold well over 120,000 DVDs. Many less video streams unless those streams are free. PEOPLE WANT THE HARD COPY FOR THEIR COLLECTIONS. Apple is ignoring this fact. What is also true is that people in fringe areas or rural areas typically have lousy internet speeds to contend with. Sometimes their data rates aren't reliable, and so they'd rather have a DVD. We've also done BluRay discs, but the vast majority still buy DVD.

Mar 4, 2016 4:37 PM in response to smithdal

Some people still like the old DVD menu even on a Mac.

All movie collectors want their movies on a physical disk.

I am finding that optical media is making a strong comeback because of M-DISC, good for 1000 years.

Storing movies on a hard drive is fine. But you must remember to keep backing them up every 3 to 5 years. I would absolutely hang on to all of your original pressed copies. ( Also proves that the movies were purchased legally.) Pressed DVDs have a shelf life of about 100 years. Hard drives have a much shorter lifetime.

Apr 9, 2016 8:45 PM in response to smithdal

Hi, I have an iMac 2013 with OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite and am using DVDSP 4.2.2 with no problems at all. I still deliver on dvds, lots of them. If you have FCP Studio, DVDSP was included, you can install just that app. That is what I did. I am now one of the only persons in this business around here that can still make dvds with menus etc. Hope this helps. I've been asking on this forum if DVDSP works with El Capitan? If anyone knows it would be nice to know. Thanks

Mark

What happened to DVD Studio Pro? Has it been integrated somehow or use shelved?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.