Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete multiple favourites in safari?

Hi, I was wondering how to delete multiple favourites in Safari because I accidentally added thousands of bookmarks.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 29, 2016 12:17 AM

To delete multiple items in favorites, I will

1. Select 'Edit Bookmarks' from 'Bookmarks' menu. - This shows full structure of Bookmark tree using the whole window in the current tab.
  2. In the view, you can click the triangle on the left of sub folder name to expand/corrupts it.
  3. Then select items to delete using click, shift-click, and/or command-click, etc.
  4. Type the delete key or select 'Delete' from 'Edit' menu.
  5. Repeat step 2 - 4 for all items you want to delete.

In the Bookmarks view, you can also use drag-and-drop method to rearrange the items.

After finishing the cleanup, you can close the tab/window or just start normal web browsing in the same way as switching other web site.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 29, 2016 12:17 AM in response to dune02

To delete multiple items in favorites, I will

1. Select 'Edit Bookmarks' from 'Bookmarks' menu. - This shows full structure of Bookmark tree using the whole window in the current tab.
  2. In the view, you can click the triangle on the left of sub folder name to expand/corrupts it.
  3. Then select items to delete using click, shift-click, and/or command-click, etc.
  4. Type the delete key or select 'Delete' from 'Edit' menu.
  5. Repeat step 2 - 4 for all items you want to delete.

In the Bookmarks view, you can also use drag-and-drop method to rearrange the items.

After finishing the cleanup, you can close the tab/window or just start normal web browsing in the same way as switching other web site.

Feb 29, 2016 1:35 AM in response to dune02

Selecting multiple items in Safari's Bookmarks view is easy as selecting items in the list view of Finder.

1. Click on the one to begin with.

2. Scroll down or up if necessary

3. Shift-click the one to end with.

4. Hit delete key to remove selected items at once.

Let me say,

you have A, B, C, D, ---, Y, Z

Click B, then Shift-Click Y. (This makes all of B, C, ...., Y are seleted.)

Then hit delete key

you now have A and Z only.

So, you can delete tens, hundreds, even thousands with just two clicks and one key stroke.

(note: if your bookmark is in sync with icloud ( or similar service ) you may get some delay to complete.)

How to delete multiple favourites in safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.