Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2009 with 4K tv for monitor?

Will my box run the Samsung 4K 120Hz TV? (2009 Mac Pro. Quad core, 16 gigs of ram, almost got 3 solid state drives going, boots 10.10.5 and 10.6).

if this will work, what do I need to add to the computer to make it happen?

sorry for the simple question..video card, converter, cables?? But I'm lost.

The computer has the thunderbolt port for monitor but I'm guessing I'll need to make some additions if I want this to work.

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 28, 2016 8:18 PM

10 replies

Mar 2, 2016 2:05 AM in response to microgiants

You need to give us the model number of the Samsung TV to be certain, however as a general rule the following applies.

• TVs these days have a HDMI 2.0 interface which supports 4K at 30fps, 50fps, and 60fps
  • No Mac so far made has a HDMI 2.0 interface, so far they only have a HDMI 1.4a interface
  • HDMI 1.4a can only do 4K at 30fps, it cannot do 50fps or 60fps
  • Macs do have a Mini Displayport 1.2 interface which is capable of 4K at 30fps, 50fps, and 60fps
  • As far as I am aware it is still the case that only Panasonic do a TV with a Displayport interface
  • Club3D have announced a Mini Displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapter (see below)
  • It maybe that a 4K TV will only accept 4K via HDMI 2.0 if the signal also supports HDCP 2.2, for merely displaying a computer screen you should be ok without HDCP 2.2 support

The Mini Displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapter is made by Club3d and is available via Amazon. See - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CLUB3D-Mini-Displayport-Active-Adapter-Black/dp/B017BQCU GW

Mar 4, 2016 1:28 AM in response to microgiants

You need to buy a new video card and adapter.

I have the following set-up:

Mac Pro 2009/10 with GTX 980 graphics (standard PC-card) -> DisplayPort ->

Club 3D CAC-1070 adapter -> HDMI 2/DVI input ->

Samsung UE48JS9005 (Curved Euroversion with quantum dot LCD screen)

This Samsung TV now works in full 4K 60Hz 4:4:4.

The only issue is that Mac OS software updates is a hassle because you need to also upgrade the video drivers in an exact sequence. (This is solved by buying a flashed version of the card running Mac-compatible firmware. Cost/convenience issue...)

Mar 4, 2016 1:53 AM in response to wolf 1

Note: A standard DVI interface cannot support 4K and even a Dual Link DVI connection cannot support full 4K resolution either.

You have to use either HDMI to HDMI which will be 30fps only, or a Mini Displayport to Club3d adapter to HDMI 2.0 and this will give you up to 60fps at 4K.

The GTX-980 is supposed to have a HDMI 2.0 port but as far as I am aware this is not enabled in full HDMI2.0 mode by the Mac drivers.

Mar 5, 2016 10:13 AM in response to microgiants

If you have access to a GTX 680 Mac Edition video card, that will drive a single SST 4K display at 60Hz using its DisplayPort connector. Advantage: Comes with Mac firmware so you have video image from boot including when you use the Option key to select a different boot device. Disadvantage: Older and slower tech than something like the 980, discontinued, and won't support 10.6.

I bought a GTX 980 and had it modified by macvidcards.com; it's driving a pair of Dell 27" P2715Q monitors. Only downside is the screens are so beautiful I never want to leave my desk. Before modification, it worked only once Mac OS X had finished booting. After modification I have full control over option-boot etc. Two thumbs up, would do again.

Mar 13, 2016 10:16 PM in response to microgiants

a got an adapter that appeared to be the same as the Club-3D adaptor.

but it didn't seem to d any good and all I get is blank screen on my Samsung still. It knows it's connected to my computer, but cant see a thing.

Seems like i may need to get this GTX980 but it's a bigger investment than I really wanna put into this computer.

However if if anyone is sure this is what I need, and it will run my Samsung 7100 with ease. Maybe it is the way to go and I can still use my box and all ,y good software for another year or so.

tthe Club 3D is sold out everywhere but this is what I've been trying with.

Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a 4k@60hz Active Adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141889547022?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 17, 2016 3:28 PM in response to microgiants

YES!! I have had one of these monitors since they came out and have tried literally EVERYTHING to make this work with my flashed RadeonHD7970. All sorts of different leads, dual link DVI, HDMI, MiniDP to Display port and the only thing I have been able to get to work is to unplug the lead (up until this morning, MiniDP to DP), switch on and wait for booting sounds from the hard drive and then plug it in. Then I read about ACTIVE adaptors. So I purchased an ACTIVE minidp to HDMI adaptor and switched on - Heaven! It booted all the way into 1080 mode. I have SwitchResX installed so I switched to 2560 x 1440 NTSC 60Hz and restarted - YES!! After only two plus years, my Mac Pro now works as it should and boots normally. So for $20NZ I was able to fix a long time vexing problem. Also I now am aware of active adaptors and what they do.

Oct 18, 2016 2:08 AM in response to desmondfnz

desmondfnz wrote:

YES!! I have had one of these monitors since they came out and have tried literally EVERYTHING to make this work with my flashed RadeonHD7970. All sorts of different leads, dual link DVI, HDMI, MiniDP to Display port and the only thing I have been able to get to work is to unplug the lead (up until this morning, MiniDP to DP), switch on and wait for booting sounds from the hard drive and then plug it in. Then I read about ACTIVE adaptors. So I purchased an ACTIVE minidp to HDMI adaptor and switched on - Heaven! It booted all the way into 1080 mode. I have SwitchResX installed so I switched to 2560 x 1440 NTSC 60Hz and restarted - YES!! After only two plus years, my Mac Pro now works as it should and boots normally. So for $20NZ I was able to fix a long time vexing problem. Also I now am aware of active adaptors and what they do.

While I am glad you have found a solution it does not seem to be one suitable for a lot of people. The resolution you ended up using of 2560x1440 is not what most people would consider to be a 4K resolution. It is in fact a resolution that a standard 'dual-link' DVI connection can achieve. A 4K resolution would be considered to be either 3840x2160 or 4096x2160 with the former being the resolution of most 4K computer displays including the Dell P2315q and P2715q.

This is important because in order to do for example 3840x2160 at 60Hz via HDMI you need support for HDMI 2.0. While you can get an Active Mini Displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapter like this one - http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12- to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html you also need a monitor that supports HDMI 2.0. I am not convinced the Dell screens or most other computer screens yet support HDMI 2.0. Obviously there are now plenty of TVs that do both 4K and HDMI 2.0.

Mac Pro 2009 with 4K tv for monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.