Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Apple ID is locked” email scam

I have received an email purporting to be from Apple asking me to click a link to verify my email address. Having seen discussion posts referring to previous hoaxes I am now paranoid about this type of email, however genuine it may appear (online@apple.co.uk address, etc). Please advise. Copy of email shown below:

Valued Customer,

We just need to verify that this email address belongs to you.

Simply click the link below and sign in using your Apple ID and password.

Verify Now >>>

Wondering why you got this email?

It's sent when someone adds or changes a contact email address for an Apple ID account.

If you didn't do this, don't worry. Your email address cannot be used as a contact address for an

Apple ID without your verification.

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPad

Posted on Feb 29, 2016 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 5:04 PM

I don't think you are a fool. You just need to be cautious. Here are some hints from Apple:

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

16 replies

Aug 17, 2017 5:03 PM in response to Sacra

Verifying anything through a mechanism other than 'direct login to the site that holds your credentials' is always a SCAM.

No one conducts business this way. There is no need to. The site where you normally log in has all the support needed to re-verify, if that is actually required.

NEVER click on email links -- they are far, far too easy to fake. Type the URL yourself to be certain where you are going.

Feb 29, 2016 1:17 AM in response to Ventoux13

It's a scam. If you want to check your Apple ID go directly to http://appleid.apple.com . If your ID was locked for security reasons you wouldn't get an email about it, you would find out when you tried to log in and would then have to contact Support. There are various variants of this type of email (together with the 'you have a virus' scams): never clock on a link or follow up a phone number in emails or pop-ups of this type. And although Apple do own apple.co.uk they always send emails from apple.com - it's very easy to fake the 'From' address on an email.

“Apple ID is locked” email scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.