Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard stuck at lock screen; does not go away

This is a weird one.

Very often, I would find myself staring at a keyboard when I unlock the iPhone. Yes. I press the power button to bring the device out of standby and instead of seeing the "Slide to unlock" area, I see a keyboard drawn over it. This is a fully functional keyboard and I have to type my lock code on it in order to login. Imagine my plight when I see that after login this keyboard hasn't gone away! From this point on, whatever I do doesn't seem to cause the keyboard to go away - it appears over every app, home screen, app switching, notification center and ensures that the phone is unusable.

The only solution is to reboot the phone. I'm using latest iOS on iPhone 6.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 29, 2016 9:09 AM

2 replies

Feb 29, 2016 9:48 AM in response to shamasis

When you say you "reboot" the phone do you actually do a Reset like this?

Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button continuously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button and let the device restart. You will not lose data doing this. It's like a computer reboot.

If you haven't done the Reset like I describe give that a try.

Feb 29, 2016 10:13 AM in response to Ralph9430

Oh yes. This has happened so many times now that I have exhausted innovative ways of restarting the phone! I've tried every combination possible to figure out something that causes the keyboard to go away without rebooting. I've tried normal reboot as well as cold reset. I am just short of doing a factory reset. I've not been even able to spot a pattern that triggers this! It just happens (usually when you don't want it to.)

Keyboard stuck at lock screen; does not go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.