Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Version 10.1.0 - In the loops browser all I see are audio loops (blue). There are no software instrument loops (green)?

Imac 5k Retina - ElCapitan ; GB Version 10.1.0:

In the loop browser all I see are audio loops (blue). There are no software instrument loops (green)? Is this due to Apple does not supply software instrument tracks, only audio tracks

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 6:16 AM

19 replies

Mar 2, 2016 2:51 PM in response to ronyeedee

hello, I have no solution to your quandary and I share it. notice the insert

User uploaded file

As you can see I have 3440 loops, all but 8 are blue audio loops. I have purchased loops and still have the same problem.

As a work around I have started a project in songwriter and at the bottom there is a place that says drag Apple Loops here,

when I drag a blue loop in there I have controls over it, as if it were a green one, to some extent. This is not technical by any means but it's a workaround that has worked for me.

léonie really is a guru withe GB and has helped much, I only hope you can get my workaround to work for you.

with all respects,

Mar 3, 2016 12:44 AM in response to ronyeedee

How many loops do you see, when you set the LoopBrowser to GarageBand? You may not have all loops installed, that come with Garageband.

I am seeing 1224 loops with the menu set to "GarageBand". How many are you seeing?

If there are many less, try the GarageBand menu "Restore Sound Library". you will need a fast internet connection, because that will download many GB of loops again.

Did you uninstall GarageBand '11, before you upgraded to GarageBand 10? Or is it a new Mac, that never has seen the older GarageBand versions?

It is hard to tell for me, which loops should be there, if you have clean install of only GarageBand 10. The green, software instrument loops are only in the GarageBand section of the Loop Browser. None of the newer sections "Hip Hop" etc. has software instrument loops. I may be seeing loops that migrated from GarageBand '11 in the GarageBand section.

If you have an older Mac or a backup of an older Mac with GarageBand '11, compare the loop libraries in the folder /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

Then try to copy missing loops from the old Mac to the corresponding places on the new Mac.

If the software instrument loops were really missing in the new garageBand version, it would be a disaster. I mainly use software instrument loops, because it is easy to see which sequence of chords they will be playing and I can use them as a starting point for my own chord progressions. The real instrument loops are poorly documented. It is hard to tell which chords they will paly from looking at the cute names in the loop browser. It is wasteful to have to listen to a loop when browsing them.

Mar 3, 2016 6:54 AM in response to ronyeedee

Maybe I will call apple support in our local apple store tonight.

Please let us know, what Apple Support tells you, if a GarageBand 10 version is still supposed to come with software instrument loops. In my library the loops from GarageBand '11 and GarageBand 10 are mixed, since GarageBand is installing them in the same place.

Mar 4, 2016 12:01 AM in response to ronyeedee

well, looks like GB 10.1.0 does not supply software instrument tracks.

That is really bad news. But thanks for confirming that.

Can I get a copy of a few for drums from anyone?

We cannot do that here as guests in Apple's own forum, sorry. The software licenses for GarageBand states clearly, that we can use the loops freely, but ar not allowed to give them away as loops.

Do any friends or family have a Mac with older installer DVDs? The early installers that came with new Macs had GarageBand '11 or GarageBand '09.

I just sent feedback to Apple, and suggest you do the same: http://www.apple.com/feedback/garageband.html

Version 10.1.0 - In the loops browser all I see are audio loops (blue). There are no software instrument loops (green)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.