Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPhone 6 battery suddenly draining fast

I've had my iPhone 6 since the end of October 2015. Everything has been great, until recently. Suddenly, my battery drains A LOT faster than usual. I never let the percentage get below 50%, and I don't have many apps, the brightness is always halfway, and it's on DND overnight. I have AppleCare, but would they replace the battery or would I have to buy a new phone through applecare? Thanks.

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 8:27 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Dec 6, 2016 3:32 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

Recently my iPhone 6 has had a few battery issues, draining rapidly at random without nothing running in the background. This morning it went from 85% charged to 22% within minutes, so needing to use the phone today I plugged it in to charge and when I did it instantly jumped to 70% there wasn't time to get it to 100% before it went out so I unplugged it and an hour later it's down to 28%. Some days it'll hold charge without any problems other days it can drop to nothing (yesterday when it dropped to 1% (when it had been at around 35% previously) I turned the phone off, a few minutes later I turned the phone on again and it was at 34%.

I only noticed this since it went to ios10.

Dec 6, 2016 3:32 AM

Dec 9, 2016 1:08 PM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

I have the same issue. My phone will be at 70 or 80% and suddenly drop under 20% and even down to 1%. It wants to go into low power mode. Once I plug the phone into the charger the battery percentage will immediately jump back up. Is the phone having issues measuring the actual battery charge remaining? Seems weird that it never did this before and now its an ongoing issue that happens randomly.

Dec 9, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 9, 2016 10:20 PM in response to mikedice417. In response to mikedice417.

Has anyone tried the "restore iPhone" option, and started fresh to see if this helps? Curious to learn...

I have the same issues, 50%, to 35%, to 10%, and finally down to 1% in less than 4 minutes, then immediately back to 25% after being plugged in.

Very frustrating Apple!

Dec 9, 2016 10:20 PM

Jan 18, 2017 3:14 PM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

my phone is doing this too!

My battery dies less than an hour after full charge to 100% and takes giant leaps forward toward death. For example, battery charged fully overnight, battery meter at 100%, I send a text message, 10 minutes later 80%, make a 5 minute phone call, down to 50%, then scroll the internet for 5 seconds and the "battery power less than 20%, low power mode" option pops up, then i hit ok to choose low power mode and it goes to 1% before my eyes instantly. I plug it in and immediately back to maybe 50%! i'm gonna post this separately to see if maybe there are new responses.

Jan 18, 2017 3:14 PM

Dec 9, 2016 5:38 PM in response to clarkie21 In response to clarkie21

Yep this just started happening to me too, about two days ago. Used the battery settings page and turned off apps in the background (Facebook was the top one). Last week my phone battery was lasting almost two days. I'm not a power user. This is lame.

Dec 9, 2016 5:38 PM

Jan 16, 2017 5:15 AM in response to berfunk In response to berfunk

I just received a certified refurbished iPhone 6s two days ago and experienced this battery issue this morning. Naturally my stomach dropped because I thought I had made a mistake in this purchase. I took berfunk's advice and it seems to have worked. My battery percentage said 25% and after resetting the settings it jumped back up to 85% where it was this morning. I anticipate this will only be a temporary fix until the new update comes out which will fix this issue...fingers crossed!

Jan 16, 2017 5:15 AM

Feb 3, 2017 9:20 PM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

My iPhone 6 is having the same issue. Started when I updated to 10.2. At first it would jump between different percentages so I never knew what it was really at until I plugged it in. It could die at 90% or at 10% I never really knew. I also noticed this happening more often when I used the camera. My phone would die instantly when I would try to take a picture.

After a few weeks of that it then started to die faster. The percentage was always accurate at this point, but I could be at 100% one minute and 15 minutes later I'd be at 40%. That's with no apps running in the background and just having the phone sit there with the screen off playing music.

Yesterday it started draining even faster. It was draining 1% about every minute, I timed it. Now today it's even faster than that.

My phone is impossible to use unless it's being charged. I've tried everything that has been suggested besides getting a new battery. I'm not contacting Apple as every time I've had an issue with a product in the past they would just tell me there's nothing they can do and to buy a new phone/computer. Because apparently everyone has thousands of dollars to throw out every few months when their device starts acting up.

I'm really considering going over to an Android. This to me is just ridiculous. My phone isn't even two years old. I purchased it spring of 2015. It's February 2017, there's no reason for this to be happening. Completely unreal. I guess I shouldn't expect much more from a clearly money hungry company.

If anyone ever finds a solution to this please let me know. I really don't feel like throwing out $100 on a battery that can't even be guaranteed to fix the problem. If I have to spend that much I might as well just save up the extra cash and buy a Samsung.

Feb 3, 2017 9:20 PM

Mar 1, 2016 8:37 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

Hi Dylan,

It would seem that the battery on your phone is draining way faster that it was. I would suggest that you might as well check the activities you have on the phone because there may be a lot of things that causes the battery to drain faster. You can check the usage on your battery on this article : About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you checked and it seems that there are apps that gives you quite a problem then kindly reduce the usage and that will help the battery to last more longer.

Also you might as well check some settings that can drain the battery faster e.g. Background refresh app, Auto-rotate, Brightness etc.

Mar 1, 2016 8:37 AM

Mar 10, 2016 12:49 PM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

I'm sorry I don't have a solution to this, but I am having the same problem. Starting yesterday evening, my battery has been draining 1% every couple of minutes. I have rebooted several times and gone through location services and background apps to turn off everything but the most essential. There are no obvious culprits in the battery usage. It seems like there must be some rogue process that is sucking up battery, but I would think it should have been stopped when I rebooted.

Mar 10, 2016 12:49 PM

Dec 10, 2016 7:24 AM in response to adir1 In response to adir1

And no, replacing it with the new 7 for an additional $800.00 is not a response I'm going to respect. My 6 plus has worked flawlessly for the last two years, this sort of a quasi battery load issues for the last three weeks is nonsense.

Seriously Apple, step up!

Dec 10, 2016 7:24 AM

Dec 10, 2016 9:25 AM in response to Jeff Christiansen In response to Jeff Christiansen

My wife also had the same problem on her iPhone 6 two months ago. Same steps, we turned off background apps and shut off bluetooth and so on and so forth. All the troubleshooting steps Apple mentions online. Which by the way don't make sense because the phone went from working perfectly to all the sudden not being able to hold a charge almost overnight. My wife is not a power user either and has very few apps she actually uses. Anyway I took it to the Apple store and waited in line for a couple of hours and at that point insisted that they replace the battery even if I had to pay full price for the repair which was around a hundred bucks. For me I'd rather pay the 100 bucks to make the problem go away than have to spend half a day standing in line at a crowded Apple store. Anyway, that worked and she hasn't had a problem since.

Also a new map feature showed up recently, or I just started noticing it, 'Show parked location' where the phone is now periodically popping up a notification saying it saved the location of my car. My opinion, there must be some power consuming process running in the background that monitors my phone and decides that I have been in my car and parked it so it can save my location and show me a notification. I turned that off using the switch in the 'Maps' settings window. Will see if that makes a difference. Has anyone else noticed this feature? Is it new or I just didn't notice it before?

Dec 10, 2016 9:25 AM

Jan 20, 2017 4:19 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

just downloaded this app that somehow ended up on the app store, it checks the status of your battery you guys should check it out and post results Battery Life: Your Battery Doctor by Nga Nguyen

https://appsto.re/us/L0tJfb.i

it shows the wear level of my battery is 75% and needs replacement, didn't really need an app to tell me that but was just checking cuz a lot of suggestions said it's a software issue, but it isn't, the battery is defected, with just 2 years of use and its dead, yes I expect it to deplete a little but not 75 %!!, if apple doesn't do something about that soon they are gonna lose a lot of customers, I buy iPhone's mainly cuz of their reliability, if that's gone then what for

Jan 20, 2017 4:19 AM

Dec 10, 2016 3:49 AM in response to Jeff Christiansen In response to Jeff Christiansen

Mine also started happening within recent weeks - I tried chatting with Apple support few days ago, and they insist that battery test is fine. My symptoms are exactly same - percentages jump inexplicably, and had few times phone shut off completely from as high as 70% remaining.

I did perform restore via iTunes and a computer as advised by Apple Support, and so far not seeing any improvement. This is very frustrating problem and I wish Apple would address it more seriously instead of ignoring so many of us having this issue.

I noticed that using Camera kills the battery much faster, or instantly. I had a case last week where Barcode Scanning App accessed the camera for few seconds, and that took battery down from 50% to 1% instantly. Most previous times when phone shut off into black screen was also when trying to take photos or videos.

Waiting to see if we can get some real support going for these issues here.

Dec 10, 2016 3:49 AM

Dec 10, 2016 3:56 PM in response to adir1 In response to adir1

Also contacted the Apple support. They tried the battery test and it was fine. Told me to try Apple information on battery usage for two days (https://support.apple.com/it-it/ht201264)...of course they know it's not useful.

Anyway, the girl i talked to said it's something about the software and that they're receiving many similar complaining. Then she said if it didn't work to call them back with another phone and a computer with iTunes turned on (and previously making a backup of the iPhone). That way they will do other tests. I'll call tomorrow and let you know.

Dec 10, 2016 3:56 PM

Mar 1, 2016 9:14 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

It would seem that there is a problem on the software itself that needs to be reset.

A back up and restore can help you if there really is a problem on the software. If the the battery still drains faster then it is recommended that you go to the store and let them diagnose the phone itself.

Mar 1, 2016 9:14 AM

Dec 14, 2016 11:23 PM in response to adir1 In response to adir1

I figured this was a fairly universal issue, especially with older Iphones. I have the 6. Since ios 10, I'm getting the same nonsense performance from my battery. It dies with 40%, 50%, 27%. When I plug it in it shows that I still have the aforementioned batt life remaining. This is an iOs problem, plain and simple. I love Apple products, but Apple Arrogance, Dishonesty, and Indifference are pushing me away. Why don't they just tell us that, if we want "Apple" performance we have to buy the newest iphone, or tell us we can't have the ios updates since they either don't test for back model compatibility or know it's going to cause a problem and don't care, since it will send some to the Apple store to buy the newest phone sporting the usual incrementally minute upgrades. Don't insult us by asking if we've done a hard reboot or restore when you know that won't work. That's condescending in the same way that it is when your mom asks you if you looked in your closet when you can't find your shoes. She doesn't care if you find your shoes, she just wants you to go look somewhere else. You will eventually kill the Legacy Steve Jobs built with your gross indifference to customer service. It's really cute that I can send a text message with floating balloons, but my balloon generating device is also a critical lifeline for my income; the income I use to feed my family, to clothe my kids, and buy Apple products.

Dec 14, 2016 11:23 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Mar 1, 2016 8:37 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

Hi Dylan,

It would seem that the battery on your phone is draining way faster that it was. I would suggest that you might as well check the activities you have on the phone because there may be a lot of things that causes the battery to drain faster. You can check the usage on your battery on this article : About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you checked and it seems that there are apps that gives you quite a problem then kindly reduce the usage and that will help the battery to last more longer.

Also you might as well check some settings that can drain the battery faster e.g. Background refresh app, Auto-rotate, Brightness etc.

Mar 1, 2016 8:37 AM

Reply Helpful (14)

Mar 1, 2016 9:14 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

It would seem that there is a problem on the software itself that needs to be reset.

A back up and restore can help you if there really is a problem on the software. If the the battery still drains faster then it is recommended that you go to the store and let them diagnose the phone itself.

Mar 1, 2016 9:14 AM

Reply Helpful (8)

Mar 10, 2016 12:49 PM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

I'm sorry I don't have a solution to this, but I am having the same problem. Starting yesterday evening, my battery has been draining 1% every couple of minutes. I have rebooted several times and gone through location services and background apps to turn off everything but the most essential. There are no obvious culprits in the battery usage. It seems like there must be some rogue process that is sucking up battery, but I would think it should have been stopped when I rebooted.

Mar 10, 2016 12:49 PM

Reply Helpful (12)

Apr 16, 2016 2:34 PM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

This may help - essentially you sign out, reboot, and sign back in on all your accounts.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-3-2-battery-vs-9-3-1-battery.1966379/p age-5#post-22806658

Apr 16, 2016 2:34 PM

Reply Helpful (9)

Nov 10, 2016 8:04 PM in response to scbryan In response to scbryan

Another way to save battery is don't charge your phone at night. When you charge your phone at night, your phone sits there at 100% and when it is sitting there, and when you unplug it, it drains more faster. Hope I helped!!

Nov 10, 2016 8:04 PM

Reply Helpful (51)

Nov 10, 2016 8:06 PM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

Another way to fix it is don't charge your phone at night. When you do, your phone is sitting and 100% almost all night and when it does that, it slowly damages your phone battery. Hope I helped!

Nov 10, 2016 8:06 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Dec 6, 2016 3:32 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

Recently my iPhone 6 has had a few battery issues, draining rapidly at random without nothing running in the background. This morning it went from 85% charged to 22% within minutes, so needing to use the phone today I plugged it in to charge and when I did it instantly jumped to 70% there wasn't time to get it to 100% before it went out so I unplugged it and an hour later it's down to 28%. Some days it'll hold charge without any problems other days it can drop to nothing (yesterday when it dropped to 1% (when it had been at around 35% previously) I turned the phone off, a few minutes later I turned the phone on again and it was at 34%.

I only noticed this since it went to ios10.

Dec 6, 2016 3:32 AM

Reply Helpful (682)

Dec 7, 2016 6:52 AM in response to dylanS98 In response to dylanS98

I got the same issue after upgrading the IOS. Phone battery was perfectly fine before that. Now before Uber comes after i request battery is drain from 90 % to 20%. When in charge it shows 60%. it is very erratic and dies without any notice when it is showing 50%.

Dec 7, 2016 6:52 AM

Reply Helpful (306)
User profile for user: dylanS98

Question: iPhone 6 battery suddenly draining fast