Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Radio Shark no audio with El Cap - fixed!

JUst thought I'd post a fix if anyone out there still has a Radio Shark (by Griffin) and has lost audio when upgrading to El Cap.

SOme background. After upgrading to El Cap, I found my Radio Shark audio was gone. The Radio Shark input was still visible in the sound system prefs, and in fact the audio made the LED-style sound level meter in the input prefs window move, but you just couldn't hear the sound. Even weirder, when Skyping, the person I was Skyping with could hea the audio from the Radio Shark if the application was open, but I couldn't.

I went to the Griffin support pages, and they basically said, hey, it's had a good long run, but we're not supporting this anymore. I played with MIDI settings using the MIDI utility, but no luck. Last night, in an idle moment, I did another search, and found a mention of a solution on like, page 7 of 15 in a long thread somewhere (not here), and much to my delight, it worked for me!

THe fix involved opening Final Vinyl, and setting the input (in the preferences for that program) to the Radio Shark. I quit Final Vinyl, and restarted the Radio Shark app, and I had audio!

I just happened to have a copy of Final Vinyl, but as I understand it, it's now free. I would check the Mac app store first, but it's also available on Softonic and Macupdate. I have not used either of those lately, but it seems like these days such downloads may also get you Mackeeper and the like, so be careful.

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 1:32 AM

After "upgrading" to OSX Sierra 10.12.6, my RadioShark stopped working completely. As recommended above, I opened Garage Band and set RadioShark as the sound input. In System Preferences, I also selected RadioShark as the sound input. In RadioShark preferences (Record & Playback), I set Recording format to "AIFF". RadioShark now works again: it records scheduled programmes in readable files which play back in QuickTime Player.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2017 1:32 AM in response to Vancouver James

After "upgrading" to OSX Sierra 10.12.6, my RadioShark stopped working completely. As recommended above, I opened Garage Band and set RadioShark as the sound input. In System Preferences, I also selected RadioShark as the sound input. In RadioShark preferences (Record & Playback), I set Recording format to "AIFF". RadioShark now works again: it records scheduled programmes in readable files which play back in QuickTime Player.

Jul 1, 2016 8:20 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

kahjot wrote:

Softonic is a very questionable source. MacUpdate might be a better bet — if you are a paid subscribe, supposedly you don't get any surprise bundles when you download.

FWIW, there is no paid subscription but you can create a free account. Perhaps that's what you meant. 😎

http://www.macupdate.com/desktop/member-benefits

There is a paid account option as well. Supposedly this is what enables you to avoid downloading something that has crapware or adware "bundled" with it. There was a lot of discussion some months ago at Macintouch about MacUpdate having become a questionable source for software downloads.

Nov 22, 2016 5:09 PM in response to pdq2

Yes, this fixes the live radio (which is available elsewhere on iTunes and your local radio tuner) but doesn't restore the real usefulness of radioSHARK which is to record programs regularly, and to time-delay and instant replay. My fix is to boot Yosemite and record. Not a convenient fix and I hope that either Apple or Griffin can fix it more permanently. Does anyone have a fix for a true functioning program?

Radio Shark no audio with El Cap - fixed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.