Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Error in Menu Bar on G5 with 10.5.8

Hi Mac friends : On a PPC G5 dual 2 GHz (8 GB RAM, ATI RADEON 9600 Pro Card) following problem : After reinstalling the system 10.5.6 from DVD 10.5.6 2Z691-6327-A 10 times, then executing the Combo Update to 10.5.8 the same error appears : the menus for system preferences, timemachine and Preview open, but I just see a rectangular white area, no graphics. Have found no errors with disk utility, the error comes before and after the combo update, resetting the PRAM did not help, no other problems with the machine. Have removed pref files, checked with preferential treatment - no problems. All necessessary fonts are there. I dont have disk warrior. The install is clean, zero additional programs installed. Does anyone know what else I can do ? If I could access the system prefs from the terminal I could live with it. Thanks a lot !

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 1:44 AM

Have you Repaired Permissions twice in a row & rebooted yet?

2 replies

Mar 8, 2016 1:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua : The problem was a non-apple ATI graphic card. After removing it and plugging the monitor into the apple-video output, the problem disappeared instantly.

I used disk utility which never reported errors, started the Mac in single user, safe and Command-R mode, also reset the PRAM, anything that I could do. Problem solved, it was some graphic card incompatibility. Thanks again ! Marc

Graphics Error in Menu Bar on G5 with 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.