Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to iTunes Media folder located on another volume during sync.

Every time I try to manually sync my iPhone (iPhone 5, 32 GB, iOS 9.2.1) via USB with my MacPro5,1 (OS X 10.10.5, current iTunes 12.x, 48GB RAM) I get an error message ( -54) that iTunes cannot connect to the volume which containes the iTunes Library.

The Tunes library is located on a RAID volume separate from the "System" volume. The volume path is specified (and has been re-specified) under the "Advanced" tab in iTunes preferences. The path to the iTunes folder is /Master/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/iTunes. (There is an additional "MP3" media folder in he "iTunes Media" folder as well.)

Of note, there ia an onerous comment in the Advanced tab that it is best to locate the iTunes follder in /Music on the users folder on the System/boot drive. This is undesirable given the size of the music library.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 3.46GHz 6-core; 48B RAM; 240 GB SSD

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 12:36 PM

14 replies

Mar 1, 2016 2:48 PM in response to Jon Lindemann

There are several things you need to clarified to understand your current situation. The iTunes library file is a database that keeps track of you iTunes media. It defines your iTunes library. It is usually called iTunes Library.itl. The iTunes folder (in your startup disk user account Music folder) is the default location for iTunes Library.itl file.

Then, there is your iTunes Media folder. By default, this folder contains all of your actual iTunes media files, organized by iTunes into subfolders by media type, artist, and album. The default location for the iTunes Media folder is also in your iTunes folder (in your startup disk user account Music folder).

One common option to move your iTunes data off of the startup disk is to put your iTunes Media folder on an external drive (or network storage) while keeping the iTunes Library.itl file on your startup disk at the default location. To do this without iTunes losing track of your media files (where they are located), put an empty iTunes Media folder at the target location. Change the location of the designated iTunes Media folder in iTunes preferences Advanced pane to point to the new iTunes Media folder. Then give the "consolidate library" command to have iTunes copy your media files and organize them into the new iTunes Media folder location. This command is at menu bar -> File -> Library -> Organize Library -> Consolidate files (checkbox).

NOTE: In iTunes preferences Advanced pane, the TWO checkboxes for Keep iTunes Media folder organized AND Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library should be checked (unless you have a specific reason for not doing so).

The OTHER common option is to manually copy (using Finder) your entire iTunes folder (with the iTunes Library.itl file and iTunes Media folder) to the external drive or network storage. Then, use the option to open a different iTunes library

Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support

to select the iTunes Library.itl file at the new location.

The key difference is the location of the iTunes Library.itl file. The iTunes Library.itl is frequently accessed and updated by iTunes. If it is located on network storage (with much slower access speed compared to a directly connected drive), it can adversely affect the performance of iTunes. Therefore, the first option described above may be preferable, to keep the iTunes Library.itl file on the internal drive while storing the media files on network storage.

In your situation, which setup for iTunes is being used?

Mar 1, 2016 8:43 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Back at OS X 10.6 or so, I copied my entire iTunes folder from my System disk to an internal RAID (see below*). All subsequent updates of OS X and iTunes have been in place.

My Current Master/Music/iTunes/ iTunes Music has the "iTunes Music" folder instead of "iTunes Media" as I incorrectly stated in my original post. The inactive iTunes folder on my System drive has an "iTunes Media" folder which contains only an "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. None of my "iTunes Library" files have the extension ".itl" (and "View Extensions" is turned on in Finder Preferences). The only ".itl" files are in my "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder. The last such file is dated 2015-09-23. I have made substantial changes in my library since then.

I have read and write privileges on al of the folders and files in my active iTunes folder on my RAID.

* I moved the entire "Music" folder from my system drive about five years ago when I was still running OS X 10.6. All subsequent upgrades of OS X have been in place (I skipped 10.9). and I among at 10.10.5.

One potential source of difficulty arises from the fact that for a short period of time, I had two separate system disks, one running 10.8.5 and the other 10.10.x. I did NOT attempt to sync my iPhone while bootie from the 10.10.5 drive until I went to exclusively running 10.10.5

Any way I could just create a new library and incorporate my old media into it? I realize I might lose my playlists, but that's no big deal.

Mar 1, 2016 9:23 PM in response to Jon Lindemann

For some reason, when I wrote my reply, I was thinking your iTunes data was on network storage, but you did say "RAID." Sorry about that... 🙂 If it's on a RAID, the specific option used is not as critical. And you put the entire iTunes folder on the RAID, if I understand correctly. Having the iTunes Music folder structure (instead of iTunes Media) is the "old way," but don't see how that would result in the described problem...

So, the actual stated problem is not being able to sync your iPhone? When you run iTunes (on the Mac), are you able to access your current iTunes library (on the RAID) and play your media files? If you can, it seems like you should figure out why the iPhone does not sync to your current iTunes library, not create a new library.

Did your iPhone previously sync properly with your iTunes library, using latest iTunes under OS X 10.10.5? It's not clear to me if this worked before and does not work now for some reason, or if this system config is something new (recently upgraded from your 10.8.5 system).

Mar 1, 2016 11:00 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Backup works OK. Sync seems to hang when it gets to photos (sync's from Aperture library inside "master" volume). I have let it run overnight and it's still running.

But when I look at my phone, over half of the Music Albums I have selected in the Music panel on my "device" (iPhone 5), don't transfer to my iPhone.

Not sure it ever worked with 10.10.5 (upgraded about 6 months ago). Been having the problem pretty much since then.

How about I create a new library on my system drive, import them (and the playlist) into the library on my system disk (there's still enough room) and then move the iTunes media (or Music) folder ("Consolidate Files") to the "Master Volume on the RIAD. The resent the pointer in Preferences/Advanced tp the new folder on "Master"?.

Then import the playlist?

Mar 3, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Jon Lindemann

But when I look at my phone, over half of the Music Albums I have selected in the Music panel on my "device" (iPhone 5), don't transfer to my iPhone.

Are you sure those song files are located on the RAID? Songs purchased from the iTunes Store can appear in your iTunes music library, even if they are not stored locally. You may be accessing them (purchased songs) from Apple's servers ("iCloud"). And if you have an iCloud Music Library, all of your songs can be seen from iCloud. Song files must be stored locally for iTunes to sync them directly to a connected device. To check, do a Get Info on a song (that does not sync) in iTunes; on the Info window's File tab, look at Location.

How about I create a new library on my system drive, import them (and the playlist) into the library...

You don't need to do those steps you described, if you want to start off with a new iTunes library and add your media files. Use this procedure to create a new (blank) iTunes library at the desired location, such as on the RAID.

Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support

In the new library, open iTunes preferences Advanced pane, to confirm the designated iTunes Media folder location is within the iTunes folder that holds the iTunes Library file. Also confirm that the TWO checkboxes for Keep iTunes Media folder organized AND Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library are BOTH checked.

Then, from the menu bar, File -> Add to Library, and select the old iTunes Music folder where all of your media files are currently located. iTunes will import all media files it finds there into your new iTunes library, and put a copy of files in the designated iTunes Media folder, organized into subfolders by media type, artist, and album. This is a copy (not a move); after confirming all of your media is there in you new iTunes library, delete the now duplicated files to free up the space.

Mar 2, 2016 4:43 AM in response to Jon Lindemann

== Error -54 ==

From an OS9 reference, error -54 is a software lock on a file or a permissions error. (Although there is no formal list of OSX error code some of the old codes still apply to OSX .)

First, try simply restarting your computer.

Try quitting iTunes, then deleting the .xml (not .itl !) version of the library file in the iTunes folder (iTunes will generate a new one).

iTunes Library cannot be saved (Error -54) - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1912814 - various things to try.

Unknown error (-54) while syncing ipod - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1082953 - problem was locked files

Why does iTunes keep showing a -54 error when I sync my iPad? - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3727114

Error -54 possibly related to Touch Copy - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3727114 - cleared by deleting preferences on iPad.

iTunes: Missing folder or incorrect permissions may prevent authorization - http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1277 = https://web.archive.org/web/20140730222128/http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1277

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

Mar 2, 2016 9:09 AM in response to Limnos

Interesting: I tried to sync my iPhone with iTunes on my MBPro, 9,2 with the same iTunes folder now on a Data volume. I DON't get an error -54, but the sync still fails to add albums selected on iTunes on the MBPro to the iPhone. These albums and individual files are NOT locked, at least as depicted in the "Get Info" windows for these albums and files. These files ripped from CD's I own encoded with the Apple lossless codec. Other CD's ripped in an identical manner are sync'ed.

Mar 2, 2016 11:50 AM in response to Limnos

Kenichi,

I created a new library as you suggested. After I imported the old "Tunes Music" folder into the new library, about half of the music folders in the new "iTunes Media" folder were empty, even though the original files were present in the "iTunes Music" folder.

These are the same files which do not appear on the iPhone after syncing with either the MacPro or the MacBook Pro.

Repairing permissions did nothing.

None of the folders are indicated as "locked" as determined by "Get Info".

Mar 2, 2016 12:02 PM in response to Jon Lindemann

Some song files may be corrupted. Repairing permissions does not do anything to the song files. Doing a Repair (or Verify) on the First Aid tab, with the RAID volume selected in the Disk Utility sidebar, may be relevant to the overall health of the volume, although it won't fix individual files.

Show one of those song files in a Finder window. Right-click it and select Open With -> iTunes. Are you able to add the song file that way? Does it start playing in iTunes?

If you cannot add that individual song, right-click it and select Open With -> QuickTime Player. Does it open in QuickTime Player and let you play it?

Mar 2, 2016 1:48 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

They play just fine either in iTunes or QuickTime.

They show up in the recently added list, but not under albums.

Some have been labelled as compilations at the time of the original import from the CD, others have not.

There are no directory issues on any volumes containing the music files: all have been checked with Disk Utility as well as DiskWarrior.

Mar 3, 2016 8:24 AM in response to Jon Lindemann

If the song plays fine in iTunes, doesn't that mean the song was add to your iTunes library?

iTunes organizes the imported song files based on the song's "metadata" (the imbedded info in the song file for things like song name, album, artist, track #, etc.). Using the default settings, iTunes keeps the iTunes Media folder organized based on how the songs currently appear in iTunes. If you change the artist name for a song from "Beatles" to "The Beatles," iTunes updates the iTunes Media folder to reflect that change for the artist-name folder.

If all of your songs are in your new iTunes library, you may need to edit song info in the iTunes window for anything that is not correct, such as what is marked as a part of a compilation (that bit of data is probably not embedded metadata). If you make a change that affects how the song file is stored, iTunes updates the iTunes Media folder accordingly.

NOTE: Some types of audio file formats do not support embedded song data. For example, I don't think WAV files support it. So those songs may end up being added to iTunes library with album and artist fields blank.

Mar 3, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi,

All of the files are encoded with the Apple Lossless CODEC. I'm wondering if the fact that some were imported as part of a compilation has not resulted in some of the albums not appearing on the album list. When I check the metadata in the file information tab under "Info", all of the information appears to be correct. Again, some of the albums which fail to sync to the phone (and are absent from the album view in iTumes on my Mac) were part of compilations, the others were not.

I will have to try to re-organize some of these albums this weekend, removing them from compilations and ensuring they are listed under the same album name.

Again, thank you very much for all of your help.

Mar 5, 2016 8:19 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi,

The Error -54 issues and hung sync's have disappeared. Why, I'm not certain. I never rebuilt the library on my MacPro. It may be because I did a sync with my MBPro and then went back and synced to my MacPro. I also repaired the iPhoto and Aperture libraries on the MacPro. It may be be gremlins. Who knows?

As to selected albums not syncing with the iPhone. I finally realized the the "check"'s on the individual tracks were turned off. I don't recall ever turning them off. That being said, the albums selected for Sync and the tracks "checked" now are successfully transferred to the iPhone.

Thanks for all of your help through this.

Jon

Cannot connect to iTunes Media folder located on another volume during sync.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.