Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live Photos Have Become Videos

Hi,

I have an iPhone 6s (which can take live photos) and an iPad 2 (both running iOS 9.2.1), along with an iMac running OS X 10.11.3 and Photos 1.3.

I've noticed that some of my live photos (all older ones) have become videos. For each, I get a completely still image and then a three second long video, rather than a single live photo.

As I have iCloud Photo Library enabled, this is replicated across all my devices.

I have not touched the files.

Other live photos (newer ones) appear as live photos, in line with expectations.

Is there any way to fix this? In other words, can I change the image + video combo back to a live photo?

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 2:00 PM

6 replies

Apr 3, 2016 2:00 PM in response to Filip UK

If you are up to date why did you state you were not? It makes thing very difficult when you post incorrect information

I have an iPhone 6s (which can take live photos) and an iPad 2 (both running iOS 9.2.1), along with an iMac running OS X 10.11.3 and Photos 1.3.

That is not the current software as I posted

one of the areas of improvement in OS X 10.11.4 and Photos 1.5 was in live photos - do the update and see if it helps

LN

Aug 9, 2016 6:21 AM in response to Filip UK

I have found a solution to this.

I found this thread. It is about a slightly different problem, but the (eventual) solution works. The basic idea is to reimport the files into Photos, which makes it recognise that the still images and three-second videos are part of the same live photo.

1. Open Photos on macOS
  2. Cmd-click to select all of the affected files (both the still image and the three-second video for each photo)
  3. Choose File > Export > Export x Items
  4. In the dialogue box that pops up, ensure you are preserving the location
  5. Save the files somewhere temporarily (the desktop is ideal)
  6. Reimport the files by dragging all of them back in to Photos (they will appear under today's date)
  7. You will notice that the still photos and three-second videos have combined to become live photos once again
  8. Highlight each new live photo in turn and select Image > Adjust Date and Time and change the date and time to what it should be (you can look at the date/time on the still photo to see what it should be)*
  9. Delete the unwanted still and three-second video versions of the photos
  10. You should be left with just the live photos, correctly dated; these will sync with your other devices if you have iCloud Photo Library enabled

* I realise manually dating all the affected photos is a pain. You may be able to avoid it by choosing Export Unmodified Originals (which preserves the date), but I couldn't get this to work: I was left with three copies of each file (one correctly-dated still image, one correctly-dated video and, tellingly, one video dated the day everything went wrong) – no matter what I did, these files did not recombine into live photos when reimported into Photos.

Live Photos Have Become Videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.