Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am interested in obtaining original installation DVDs (or re-production) to install on my PowerBook 17" system (PowerBook 5,9)

Hello, I am interested in obtaining original installation DVDs (or re-production) to install on my PowerBook 17" system (PowerBook 5,9). Mine I believe is the latest model PowerBook 17", the Hard drive had failed on it, I replaced the hard drive, now I get the [? / Folder] symbol in center of screen, which I am certain it means there is no Operating system installed. You had indicated that OSX 10.5.8 is newest. Do I need to install 10.4.x first and then install the 10.5.8 patch(s), WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND to restore this system, unfortunately, I do not have the original DVDs that were provided with this system.

Can you provide DVDs or images needed to restore my PowerBook 17"

Thanks in advance, WestLagunaMan

<Post Branched by Host>

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 9:36 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2016 11:11 PM in response to WestLagunaMan

Can you provide DVDs or images needed to restore my PowerBook 17"

FYI - This is Apple's user discussion forum, so most responses you receive here are from your fellow Apple users, not from Apple.

It may be difficult to find the specific original installation disc(s) that came with your Mac model, and you probably don't want that anyway... Any PowerBook G4 with a 17" screen can run up to Leopard (10.5.8). You can more easily find a retail Leopard installation disc. By "retail," I mean a disc that was sold separately in a shrink-wrapped box, meant to be used with any supported Mac model. The retail Leopard disc has a dark "outer space" background with a big "X" across the center hole.

NOTE: Do not get a grey disc, because those are the discs that came with a Mac, and all Macs that came with Leopard pre-installed are Intel-based.

All PowerBook G4 models came with a Tiger (10.4.x) or earlier, so the version of Leopard on the retail installation disc can be any number, such as initial 10.5 release or 10.5.4. After installation, a downloadable updater gets it to the latest version of Leopard, 10.5.8.

You do not need to have a previously installed OS. You start up from the Leopard installation disc in the optical drive (hold down C key during startup). If the new hard drive needs to be initialized, run Disk Utility from the Installer menu to format ("Erase") the drive; if the hard drive is used and came from the PC world, you should run Disk Utility to reformat the drive for Mac. Then, run the Installer.

Mar 2, 2016 5:36 AM in response to WestLagunaMan

If you are in the US call Apple Customer Support 1-800-767-2775, provide the Serial Number and specifications of the Mac, and for a reasonable fee, they will supply a replacement set of system discs (if available).

The discs will be for the original version of the OS that was pre-installed when the Mac was manufactured.

If you are in another country:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Mar 14, 2016 11:19 PM in response to Klaus1

I want to reply here also.. Its now 2016.. I seriously doubt Apple or Apple SOS has anymore PowerPC discs at all, given its now been 10+ years since they made PPC machines.. I suggest getting the Leopard Disc 10.5 retail or 10.5.6 retail.. Black disc with X on it.. If you are needing hardware test disc, that will be harder to find. I can recommend a few areas.. Please email me for more information.

What model PowerBook G4 you have ? e/g. A1139/A1138 15 or 17 inch.

I am interested in obtaining original installation DVDs (or re-production) to install on my PowerBook 17" system (PowerBook 5,9)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.