Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (3rd Gen) unresponsive rapidly blinking light with no picture (tried to restore via iTunes using micro USB but did not recognize device as well as disabled IPv6, etc.) any takers?

Hi all,

I've done heaps of research and troubleshooting. I have also noticed I'm not alone in this frustrating experience. All devices/programs are up-to-date and I even update my Apple TV software relatively often. I was woken up in the middle of the night by the Apple TV (3rd Gen) light rapidly blinking - unresponsive to the remote, the only picture displayed on the TV illustrating to plug a micro USB to iTunes to restore the Apple TV. (pictured below)

User uploaded file

After much research, here's how I attempted to troubleshoot:

1. Many attempts of simply unplugging power source and HDMI cable (this has worked in the past for minor troubleshooting issues, not this time) and waited for extended periods of time ~30-90 mins to reboot
  2. Attempted to restore Apple TV via iTunes (running most current version 12.3.2) using micro USB cable. iTunes did not recognize the device after several times of reopening program, toggling between ON and OFF HomeSharing, restarted mac (running most current OS: El Capitan 10.11.3) and even tried with the device connected to power. No luck.
  3. I've even gone as far as disabling IPv6, though not necessarily
    ideal, seeing as it's been a success for many (maybe something to try for those having similar issues). Here's a how-to link:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/04/18/disable-ipv6-mac-os-x/

I'm willing to restore my Apple TV to factory settings, however, if I'm unable to access it through my TV or iTunes, I'm completely stumped....... Any thoughts or tips??

Thanks so much,

Britt B 🙂

Apple TV, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), iTunes (12.3.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2016 1:34 AM

2 replies

Apple TV (3rd Gen) unresponsive rapidly blinking light with no picture (tried to restore via iTunes using micro USB but did not recognize device as well as disabled IPv6, etc.) any takers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.