Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB user not able to access files

I have users set up to connect via smb to smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/folder two things I can see that are not working correctly.

1. In Server Admin-->Servers-->My Server.local-->SMB-->connections. The host names of the user mac's connected are wrong. It looks like they are picking up random PC's host names from our domain even though the Xserve is in a standalone configuration

2. One of the users on a mac (iMac 10.10) is seein excel files that he opens as "Read Only" not sure why. He is also not able to add new folders via the finder or change the color (Label) of folders.

The Server is running 10.6.8

I wonder if In Server Admin-->Servers-->My Server.local-->SMB-->Share Points--> "Others" should be set to fill permissions?

Xserve-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Windows 7 Pro

Posted on Mar 2, 2016 7:31 AM

There are no replies.

SMB user not able to access files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.