Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleted photos from camera roll also get delete in MY PHOTO STREAM?

Hi, my question is that, if I delete a photo in Camera Roll will be deleted from MY PHOTO STREAM too?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2016 7:52 AM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2017 4:36 PM in response to XtremlyBlesseD__

This is a mess.

Connect your iPhone to your Mac, open Photos and sync the photos on your iPhone to your Photos library, checking the box to "delete items after import." Photos imports the photos, but they are not deleted from the Camera Roll on the iPhone. So the only way to "empty" your Camera Roll is to select and delete the photos from the Camera Roll Album in the Photos app on the iPhone. But, it turns out, this also deletes the photos from your Photo Stream.

This seems wrong on so many levels. I can't imagine that anyone would decide this to be desired behavior. Camera Roll and Photo Stream are completely different things with completely different purposes. Why are they being mixed up like this now?

Camera Roll should contain only recent photos that one has not had a chance to import. Photo Stream should always show your most recent xx photos—just as it's advertised—no matter if they've been imported or not, so that you can always see them on all your devices.

I'm glad I haven't lost photos, since I imported them to my Mac's Photos library first. But it's extremely frustrating that I have to choose between my Camera Roll being continually full of old photos or emptying my Photo Stream and not having (the advertised) ready access to recent photos on all my devices.

May 18, 2017 10:36 AM in response to David Wolfe1

Holy **** I could not agree with you more.

I don't know when Apple changed all this, but the system used to operate exactly as you describe. Photos imported would stay in Photostream and I could delete them off the camera roll at any time without affecting Photostream. Now it's as OP wrote, with deleting photos from the camera also deleting them from Photostream.

As you said, "I can't imagine that anyone would decide this to be the desired behavior." Doesn't this new system in effect require me to eat up space on my camera by keeping recent photos on it? So what's the point of Photostream then? Maybe the plan is to phase out Photostream and force people into a) buying iOS devices with more storage; or, as seems more likely to me, b) buying the iCloud photo library storage.

Mar 2, 2016 7:57 AM in response to XtremlyBlesseD__

No it will not be deleted. Camera Roll and Photo Stream are two separate sources for photos. Your Camera Roll is, in essence, your iPhone's Photo Library. Photo Stream is a temporary storage of photos that have been taken by any device that is signed into the same iCloud account. Photo Stream keeps the last 30 days or 1000 photos, whichever comes first.

You may notice more than that limit of photos on an individual device, but if you were to turn off Photo Stream and then turn it back on, you would not see anything over 30 days old, or any more than 1000 photos, because that is all that would be kept in iCloud.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 2, 2016 8:24 AM in response to XtremlyBlesseD__

I just checked this on my iPhone 5s running iOS 9 and it does appear that it will delete it from both places now. I selected a photo from the Camera Roll, and the message stated: "This photo will also be deleted from the Photo Stream on all your devices". So, it appears that it now will delete it from both places.

This must be a new feature with iOS 9, so sorry about the misinformation.

You can delete it from the Photo Stream, and it will not delete it from the Camera Roll, but it appears that now if the photo resides in both places, and you delete it from the Camera Roll, it also deletes it from the Photo Stream.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 3, 2016 5:52 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi again, I wanted to tell you that i'm a great fan of Photo stream feature, so i have it installed on my laptop too. as we both seen earlier that how the picture get deleted from the Photo Stream if the main version of the picture is deleted from the Camera Roll.

So the Problem in my case is that, if I delete a Picture from my iPhone's Camera roll it gets deleted from the Photo Stream in my iPhone too but from the Windows under iCloud Photos, sometime it gets delete & sometime it's not.

Hope you understand this time.

Thanks

Mar 3, 2016 6:26 AM in response to XtremlyBlesseD__

Well, not sure what the settings on a Windows photo app are, so can't help you there. In my Mac Photos app, I have an option to automatically import all Phtoto Stream photos, so they go to my Mac's Photos Library right away. I can delete them from the Photo Stream, but since they are already imported, they stay in the Mac's Photo Library.

Remember - Photo Stream is a temporary streaming process designed to share photos between devices and computers. It is not intended as an archive. So, you need to look into your Windows processes to see if there is a way to automatically import Photo Stream photos.

Best of luck,

GB

deleted photos from camera roll also get delete in MY PHOTO STREAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.