Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scam??

I Have just recieved a text that Says the following;

Please login to verify & update your Apple ID http://bit.ly/1Q4iaue You will be unable to use your Apple ID or make purchases until this process is completed.

i am unsure whether to trust this because all of my apple messages usually come through as email not text message, help?!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2016 10:21 AM

6 replies

Mar 2, 2016 10:29 AM in response to GiorgiaW

OF course, Niel is correct. He always is. It is a scam. I just want to emphasize that Apple will never send you an unsolicited text. If you make a purchase at an Apple Store or the online store, they will ask if you want to receive a notification for shipping or pickup by text and that is solicited. They will never send an email where they do not use your real name either. They never start an email with Dear Customer or any generic greeting like that. If the email doesn't have your real name in it, it isn't from Apple.

Mar 2, 2016 10:47 AM in response to GiorgiaW

one of these days, Apple will likely write an article about "SCAM" iMessages (like they have several on "Phishing" emails )... they have one on "SPAM" already which do in the meantime > Report iMessages that look like spam or junk - Apple Support

OR

one could treat the text message as described in the above linked article in the "Report by email..." section, but instead sending the email to reportphishing@apple.com

Phishing & Other Suspicious Emails - Apple Legal

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

Identifying fraudulent "phishing" email - Apple Support

Scam??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.