Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low MBPS from Airport Time Capsule

I have an Airport Time Capsule that is less than a year old. It is running the lastest update. I have been having trouble getting good connection. I have a 100 mbps service, but I am only getting about 35 mbps from the Wifi connection. When I plug my computer directing to the back of the modem I get about 95 mbps. When I plug my computer directly into the back of the Airport Time Capsule, I get 35 mbps (which is the same as the wifi connection).

I talked to my ISP today (when I was only getting 15-20 mbps) and they told me that there has been some trouble with the IPV6. I changed that under settings to "link to local only" and instantly gained about 15-20 more mbps. However, I am STILL getting no more than 36-40 mbps wifi OR plugged in directly to Airport Time Capsule.

I also have an older Airport express on my network that is just rebroadcasting the signal and I also use it (or try to use it) for playing itunes on speakers. But it has been having trouble streaming anything consistently. I bring this up, because do I need to change setting in it too?

OR...do I need to take the thing back to apple??

Posted on Mar 2, 2016 8:09 PM

2 replies

Mar 2, 2016 8:14 PM in response to les2ismore

What modem do you have? Make and model please?

And how is the TC setup. router or bridged to the ISP modem/router?

Did you do the speed test with ethernet and the wireless actually shut off.. it should not be running when you plug the computer into the TC??

Tell us who is your ISP as well as perhaps someone else will be familiar with the IPv6 settings.

Mar 2, 2016 8:25 PM in response to les2ismore

The WAN port on the Time Capsule is not negotiating speeds correctly with the modem. This is a known issue, although Apple will not admit it.

Unfortunately, Apple removed the settings that allowed user to manually adjust the WAN port speed settings, so there really is not much that you can do other than try another Time Capsule.....or go to another router.....or modem.

Some users.....including me....have found that inserting a Gigabit Ethernet switch between the modem and the Time Capsule has helped. The theory here is that the switch does a better job with the modem than the Time Capsule does.

Might be worth a try if you have a switch handy....or a store nearby that will let you return the switch if it does not help.

Of course, if you take the Time Capsule into an Apple Store....it will likely work perfectly there. That's what happened to me, but as soon as I got home, I still had the same problems......which seem to have been fixed when I tried another modem.

Low MBPS from Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.