Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X El Capitan - Trash Issue!

Hello, I use OS X El Capitan and I am very pleased but the trash suddenly crashed and stopped working. I get a error message when I drag the items to the trash as the screenshot. I tried to fix this problem but I can not.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 13-Inch, Mid-2009

Posted on Mar 3, 2016 2:06 PM

46 replies

Mar 3, 2016 2:24 PM in response to Community User

See You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash. If this doesn't make any progress, then:

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! 5.1to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen. Press RETURN again.

(Should anyone tell you this is dangerous or unnecessary, please ignore the comment.)

Mar 3, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Community User

1. Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/.Trash

2. Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info in Finder (or just Show Info)

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open.

3. The dialog should show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section. If that's not what it shows, click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and enter your password when prompted. Use the plus- and minus-sign buttons to give yourself Read & Write access and "everyone" No Access. Delete any other entries in the access list.

4. In the General section, uncheck the box marked Locked if it's checked.

5. From the action menu (gear icon) at the bottom of the dialog, select

Apply to enclosed items

and confirm.

6. Close the Info window and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it (command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Mar 4, 2016 5:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

No, I can not understand how I do it.

~/.Trash

How or where should I write them and how can I do this? (App - Utilities - Terminal section?)

OS X El Capitan - Trash Issue!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.