Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly our router keeps losing the internet. The Cox representative says that the IPV6 on the router is not compatible with the Cisco modem. I am to disable it? Does that make sense? Just started 3 days ago. Have to reboot AirPort Extreme

Suddenly on Tuesday, our wifi stopped working. Cox can see nothing on their end. So far we have had to reboot 5 times. I finally realized that it is not the modem (Cisco), but our AirPort Extreme. It is all that needs to be rebooted. I talked to a tech that I have come to know, and she said that this week this problem has started occurring with customers that have Airport Extremes. Something about the Airport being IPV6 and this is not compatible. The systems before were IVP until the numbers ran out (?) Anyway, she said Cox could not fix this, that I needed to talk to Apple to see if I could disable the IPV6, at least for now. I think I see how to do this, but does this make sense to anyone? We have a new modem, installed in January, Cisco DPQ3212, good speeds, no problem whatsoever until this week. It is also happening to 2 other friends here (Scottsdale, Cox) with Airport Extremes. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 3, 2016 8:05 PM

26 replies

Mar 3, 2017 8:23 PM in response to azgolfinggal

I got it (I did not know it was v2 at first), but put it in bridge mode immediately after hearing many complaints of the original.
There was a choice of just dialing "bridge mode" in the options, which was extremely easy. 400-101 Dumps
The speeds (internationally, at least) have been really worse in the afternoon, but I'm sure this is moreso because of the subpar rules of the optus network instead of the modem.

Mar 3, 2016 8:24 PM in response to azgolfinggal

Cox has made a number of recent changes to their service, and they are in the process of trying to incorporate IPv6 technology into their signals. They have not fully implemented the changes that need to be made, and will not commit to a date when things will be fully installed.

Everything was fine until Cox implemented these recent changes, and now Cox is blaming the problem on Apple. Apple has a different answer, as you might imagine. This is typical among manufacturers.....blame the other guy.

The Apple routers are picking up some of the information that they need to work with IPv6 and Cox, but since Cox has not completed the process, you will likely have better results by not trying to use IPv6 with the AirPort router at all until you receive word from Cox that their systems are ready.

The bottom line to this problem can be solved by asking "What changed". The answer is Cox changed.

Configure your AirPort Router to use IPv6 settings of Link Local Only at this time, to see if that will help. You won't be able to realize any of the advantages of IPv6 at this time, but hopefully things will improve.

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2016 8:32 PM in response to azgolfinggal

I Have been intermittent wifi problems the past two years and have cox and been using Apple base station extreme. After cox said there was no problem on the cox end I got a Genius Bar tech to trade in my Apple unit for anger one, the problem is an intermittent problem but neighbors also have a problem not sure what they use. things were better until a few days ago and the disconnect typically happens during the night.

what can we do to get cox to work with Apple,

thanks

obi

Mar 3, 2016 8:38 PM in response to obiwon4luke

It would help if Cox would complete their IPv6 process. As it stands, you would be asking Apple to try to hit a moving target while blindfolded.

Check the other manufacturer forums. Other popular router brands are having the same issues.....all of a sudden it seems.

FWIW, IPv6 works perfectly here on another provider's service and has for some time. No issues at all.

Mar 4, 2016 12:57 PM in response to Carlo TD

No, this does not work. That is the setting that is causing all the trouble. I switched to link-local only today, and our wifi (internet) has been working all day. This is the first time in 3 days. I have a question about a posting that was on the Cox user site: one of the posts says that you have to switch both the network and the airport utility to link-local. Is this true? So far I have just made the change to Link-local in the airport utility.

Mar 22, 2016 10:09 PM in response to azgolfinggal

I had similar issues with my home network. I have Cox in the Tucson area. I couldn't figure out which was the culprit modem or my Time Capsule. It seems if I powered off one of them (didn't matter which) and restarted it, everything worked for a few hours.

I happened to be looking at the AirPort Utility and noticed something with IPV6. I had not seen that before. Guessing that Cox had started rolling out IPV6 an hadn't worked out all of the bugs, I disabled the Time Capsule for using IPV6 by setting it to "Link-local only" as others have suggested. It has been working for several days now.

I guess I will wait until I hear from Cox that it is all working, or just try again in a few months when I have some time to kill playing around with it.

May 4, 2016 7:20 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I am having this problem for about a month. I have set IPV6 as "Link-local only" and I still experience the wifi dropping 2-3 times/day. I have had Cox out several times. They found problems with the internet coming into the house but this has been resolved. I'm still having to reboot the router and cable modem.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone just given up and bought another wifi router (not Apple)? Any suggestions on routers?

Suddenly our router keeps losing the internet. The Cox representative says that the IPV6 on the router is not compatible with the Cisco modem. I am to disable it? Does that make sense? Just started 3 days ago. Have to reboot AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.