Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup to iCloud on cellular data?

Here is my problem with iPad Air 2:

- I have nearly 100 Mbit speed on LTE on the sim card inserted in iPad and it has real unlimited data without cata cap.

- at work I have no wlan to use with iPad, I use cellular all the time. I use cellular data even for my work on Mac.

- at home I have slow wlan that is about 5Mbit/s and 2Mbit/s on a bad day. That is roughly 2-5% speed of the LTE. Reason is bad cable on ISP side, and ISP is unable to offer higher fixed network speed, instead they are selling the LTE/4G sim cards as a fix and I have this fix.

- Now certain functions on iOS refuse to work with cellular data such as iCloud backup and they stupidly require wifi that I never want to use.

Can I somehow disable the WIFI-requirement, I need to backup my iPad.

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, 64 GB

Posted on Mar 3, 2016 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 2:13 AM

Exactly, as they said you, you can put other device on wifi hotspot: either mac, iphone, a wifi network you created to which your iphone can connect to as if a wifi network and upload icloud photo library, which is the only thing that doesn't work over only mobile data (calendar, contacts, email icloud sync work over cellular data)

Other option is to share every photo you take to a shared album of your won on icloud photos, I think mobile data upload this changes.

I have the same issue, I don't know why apple doesn't allow us to sync over mobile data network. After all is us who pay the bills isn't it? Of 4G internet, it's really useful

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2017 2:13 AM in response to Karoliina

Exactly, as they said you, you can put other device on wifi hotspot: either mac, iphone, a wifi network you created to which your iphone can connect to as if a wifi network and upload icloud photo library, which is the only thing that doesn't work over only mobile data (calendar, contacts, email icloud sync work over cellular data)

Other option is to share every photo you take to a shared album of your won on icloud photos, I think mobile data upload this changes.

I have the same issue, I don't know why apple doesn't allow us to sync over mobile data network. After all is us who pay the bills isn't it? Of 4G internet, it's really useful

Backup to iCloud on cellular data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.