Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How-to: Using a Logitech Harmony with 2 Apple TVs

Note: This is a solution. I wanted to share it.🙂

I have both an AT3 and the new AT4. I wanted to use them both in my living room for a lot of reasons.

But I didn't want to keep switching remotes and since I've got a Logitech Harmony 650 I wanted to put both ATVs on it.

But since the Harmony only manage IR, and by default each remote would be able to control any ATVs, I had to think of something

Here's what I did:

Here let's assume that:

• remote #1 goes with AT4
  • remote #2 with AT3
  • Menu-Select means Menu-RoundButton on the remote
  • Menu-SkipBackward means Menu-LeftPartOfTheRing on the remote
  • Menu-SkipForward means Menu-RightPartOfTheRing on the remote

1. Turn off the AT3
  2. Turn on the AT4
  3. Point the silver remote #1 toward the AT4 and press Menu-Select for 6 sec. The AT4 white LED will flash when unparing is complete.
  4. Test the remote #1 on AT4 and it shouldn’t control it anymore (unpaired)
  5. Point the remote #1 toward the AT4 and press Menu-SkipBackward for 5 sec. The AT4 white LED will flash when paring is complete.
  6. Test the remote #1 on AT4 and it should control it once again (paired)
  7. Increase the ID of the remote #1 by pressing Menu-SkipForward 5 sec. (There won’t be any activity of the white LED to confirm it) but you can check by trying the remote #2: it shouldn’t control the AT4 anymore.
  8. Manually program the buttons of the AT4 on the Harmony using the remote #1 (With Change of fix what a button does | Remote buttons | Select Apple TV 4)
  9. Unplug the AT4
  10. Plug in the AT3
  11. Point the silver remote #2 toward the AT3 and press Menu-Select for 6 sec. The AT3 white LED will flash when unparing is complete.
  12. Test the remote #2 on AT3 and it shouldn’t control it anymore (unpaired)
  13. Point the remote #2 toward the AT3 and press Menu-SkipBackward for 5 sec. The AT3 white LED will flash when paring is complete.
  14. Test the remote #2 on AT3 and it should control it once again (paired)
  15. Increase the ID of the remote #2 by pressing Menu-SkipForward 5 sec. (There won’t be any activity of the white LED to confirm it) but you can check by trying the remote #1: it shouldn’t control the AT3 anymore.
  16. Turn back on the AT4 and test both remotes: At this step, remote #1 should only control AT4, and remote #2 the AT3 only.
  17. Manually program the buttons of the AT3 on the Harmony using the remote #2 (With Change of fix what a button does | Remote buttons | Select Apple TV 3)

Have fun guys

Johnny

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS 9.1.1, null

Posted on Mar 5, 2016 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2016 9:06 AM

Hmmm you'll noticed that I used 2 silver remotes in my procedure (I was able to because I have 2 x ATV3 and 1x ATV4)

But if you got only one ATV3, simply replace "remote #2" starting at step 11 by "remote #1" and forget step 16.

You'll be in fact reprogramming the same remote twice, instead of using 2 remotes.

It'll work fine

Cheers

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2016 9:06 AM in response to johnnygoodface

Hmmm you'll noticed that I used 2 silver remotes in my procedure (I was able to because I have 2 x ATV3 and 1x ATV4)

But if you got only one ATV3, simply replace "remote #2" starting at step 11 by "remote #1" and forget step 16.

You'll be in fact reprogramming the same remote twice, instead of using 2 remotes.

It'll work fine

Cheers

How-to: Using a Logitech Harmony with 2 Apple TVs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.