Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview crashes the mac while resizing images

I've already opened a case with Apple but I'd like to share.

It begun just today, I guess.

If I open images bigger than a couple of MB in preview then try to resize them, the operation goes well but, after a couple of seconds, my screen turns into a purple pattern, as in the picture I took and attached.

I happens with picture taken with both Xperia Z5 Compact and Nikon coolpix P5000 camera. It does not happens with small images.

I already tried PRAM and SMC reset but it didn't help.

User uploaded file

OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Mar 5, 2016 7:48 AM

9 replies

Mar 8, 2016 1:08 PM in response to l.aluffi

I have the same issue. Same OSX on a MacBookPro mid 2010. Recently I had my motherboard replaced for a problem to the graphic card. I had this issue before the replacement - together with other issues - and thought it was because of the graphic card, but just today I had the same crash with the new motherboard.

OS X El Captain (10.11.3) Mac Book Pro 15-inch mid 2010

Mar 9, 2016 9:19 AM in response to giorgiofrombologna

I opened a case to https://bugreport.apple.com/Maybe, if you do the same, the problem escalates a little bit more and they solve it faster.

By now they asked me a sysdiagnose with "Shift-Control-Option-Command-Period" after the crash. When the screen was crippled the Mac was still working, so I've been able to supply them with requested data.

Mar 9, 2016 9:53 AM in response to l.aluffi

This can be one of two things: either a hardware problem with the graphics card, or - more likely - a software issue in code that uses the gpu.

I am going to *guess* that there may be not enough VRAM available and there a bug in code that does not deal with that situation correctly.

Your mac seems to be a 15" macbook pro. Does it have two gpus in it (the integrated intel gpu and a discrete amd or nvidia one?)

If you don't know, you can easily find out: hold down option key and in the Apple menu choose "System Information", then click on Graphics/Displays.

If you have two gpus you may alleviate or avoid the problem by forcing the use of one over the other. Let us know.

Mar 10, 2016 9:45 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

@Luis Sequeira1

It seems to be a software failure related to the integrated graphic card. It started after the last update, if I remind well the last time I resized an image.

I used gfxCardStatus to force the use of integrated GPU first, and the discrete after. It happens only with the integrated. I've already updated the support staff with this information.

I hope that the sys diagnose I took the very moment the screen was purple, along with my informations, will point them in the right direction.

@Babowa

Actually I can't travel a lot, apart going to work, because health problems and I can't afford any extra physical effort. By the way, thru times, online bug report personnel showed a great competence with the few cases I filed and they never let me down. Guys up there always do a great job.

p.s. This post also implies a temporary workaround: use gfxCardStatus or open some app like photos to force the discrete graphic card to fire up.

Mar 10, 2016 10:44 AM in response to l.aluffi

l.aluffi wrote:

@Luis Sequeira1

It seems to be a software failure related to the integrated graphic card. It started after the last update, if I remind well the last time I resized an image.

I used gfxCardStatus to force the use of integrated GPU first, and the discrete after. It happens only with the integrated. I've already updated the support staff with this information.

I hope that the sys diagnose I took the very moment the screen was purple, along with my informations, will point them in the right direction.

@Babowa

Actually I can't travel a lot, apart going to work, because health problems and I can't afford any extra physical effort. By the way, thru times, online bug report personnel showed a great competence with the few cases I filed and they never let me down. Guys up there always do a great job.

p.s. This post also implies a temporary workaround: use gfxCardStatus or open some app like photos to force the discrete graphic card to fire up.

I am glad that you are closing in on the problem and at least have a viable workaround.

It seems that my suspicions were correct.

I would just like to point out that you can force the use of the discrete GPU explicitly in System Preferences->Energy Saver,

by UNchecking the box that says "Automatic Graphics Switching".

(If it were the other way around, needing to force the use of the integrated GPU, I believe GfxCardStatus would have been the only solution)

Preview crashes the mac while resizing images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.