Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen asking for password??

I was watching a movie online and I paused my movie to go outside to my car. I closed my Mac screen without shutting it off, or putting it to sleep. I've never done that before and I don't know why I did it this time -__-. When I came back, I opened up my laptop and a black screen with a lock icon popped up requiring a password. It's not a grey screen, it's not a firewall, I've reset my mac with ctrl+alt+del P+R, but nothing works.

User uploaded file

I've ran an antivirus and nothing comes up.

I don't know if it's a virus, or a program, or something from the laptop itself. I've logged into a guest account and it still pops up. I am able to log in, but the moment I log in, the screen pops up.

I've put in the administrative password, I've put in multiple passwords, and some kind of siren went off in the background after trying a couple of times. I was able to mute it and use the brightness option (just testing that to see if I could).

The mac works in safe boot.

Macbook pro is 13 in, Mid 2009

Software is OS X 10.8.5

It doesn't have the newest updates because if I do update, I'll lose some of the programs that came with it when I bought it (off CL about three years ago). I've never had any issues with it being out of date, no issues with any programs, no issues until now with this screen that keeps popping up.

Has anyone seen this screen before??

I don't know what to do. Any advice or suggestions would help. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2016 11:31 AM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2016 11:42 AM in response to idrkanything

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Make sure you have a current backup before proceeding.

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless and more reliable.

Black Screen asking for password??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.