Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro battery storage failing

My Macbook Pro (late 2012) battery storage is failing. When the battery indicates around 45% (and also lower percentages), the Macbook switches off completely indicating the large red empty battery icon on a black screen.

I have to go to the mains charger, and plug it in, then switch Macbook back on and battery indicator indicates the remaining amount (which can still be for example, 45%). Once switched back on, the Macbook is then taken off mains to continue on the battery power.

After only only light but regular use a not yet three year period, I am severely let down by Apple as this product looks as though it will require the purchase of a new battery - which no doubt will be very expensive.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this issue please?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2016 12:48 PM

14 replies

Mar 5, 2016 1:13 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you for your response to my issue.

I am based in the UK. I do not know if the battery for Macbook Pro is user replaceable. Do you know where I could find out about this?

Whether I have to replace the battery myself or take it to an Apple service centre, I am surprised - and disappointed - that the battery on a supposedly high quality product needs to be replaced so soon.

Furthermore, I have iPhone 5, iPad 2 and now iPad Pro. Do I have to accept that these Apple products will also have to have battery replacements so soon in their usage cycle?

Mar 5, 2016 1:25 PM in response to Bri_fi

Battery lives are determined by their design and their use. There is no such thing as a standard life for every battery. But you do have to accept the fact that whatever usage the battery can provide after that time it will likely need to be replaced.

About Batteries in iDevices

Apple - Batteries

Battery University

Apple - Batteries - iPod

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Apple - Batteries - iPad

About Batteries in Modern Apple Laptops

Battery University

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

Apple - Batteries

Extending the Life of Your Laptop Battery

MacBook and MacBook Pro- Mac reduces processor speed when battery is removed while operating from an A-C adaptor

Apple Portables- Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Mac notebooks- Determining battery cycle count

Mar 5, 2016 4:09 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your help and advice concerning this issue. I will look at the links you have provided.

Could I just raise this final question - you don't have to respond if you feel I am being negative toward Apple.

Do you think this is acceptable that an expensive highly respected product (in terms of the tech. market) needs to have replacement parts when it is less than three years old?

I am a struggling freelance in the creative industries, and I do have to say, that after spending several thousands of pounds purchasing Apple products over the last three years I am left feeling let down and somewhat disillusioned with the Apple brand.

That said, I thank you again for your help.

Brian

Mar 5, 2016 5:35 PM in response to Bri_fi

Well, tell me how many auto owners have to have their cars repaired before they are 3 years old? The car is 10-20 times more expensive than your computer, but I bet you never complain about that.

Why do you think that the life of a product must be forever just because you paid a lot for it. No one really cares how expensive a computer is just because you are struggling to own one. I don't seem to know why you wouldn't have bought something cheaper or even more expensive. A $20,000 computer uses many of the same parts that are in an Apple computer. These parts can and do fail. It's part of he cost of doing business.The average computer has a useful life of five years, so fixing them after three years is not a stretch of the imagination.

You've used up your battery's life and have to replace it. It is a replaceable part for that reason. It only is expected to last about 1,000 hours. If you used the computer an average of three hours per day, then the battery is gone in three years. i don't see why this should be a big deal. You're soured on Apple because of the battery. I sure hope you don't own a flashlight because you will really be disappointed.

If you did some research you would learn that Apple computers have the best batteries in the industry. I don't care if you are negative towards Apple, I just care that your opinion is backed by facts, not "feelings."

Mar 6, 2016 2:19 AM in response to Kappy

I acknowledge that you are probably an expert in your field, but i have to say how shocked I am at your very sarcastic and judgemental attack against what I have tried to set out in my post. I have been polite and respectful at all times and I consider your response inappropriate and unprofessional.

Mar 6, 2016 11:30 AM in response to Bri_fi

You made a completely opinionated and judgmental comment in your previous post when you asked why you need to replace parts on a three year old computer. Actually, not even a part but the battery. If you can make such a remark and not expect someone to find it a bit egregious, then you are awfully thin-skinned. When you enter the world of opinions you need to be prepared that others don't agree with it. If you think my response was inappropriate and unprofessional, so be it.

Mar 6, 2016 11:39 AM in response to Bri_fi

Batteries are removable and replacable for a reason ... they wear out.

You expressed your opinion that paying thousands for a device that could last for years entitles you to a battery that lasts forever. Kappy simply advised you to be prepared for even high-quality flashlights to need a new battery eventually.

If you are that disappointed in Apple products, you can sell them all and go to Windows/Android. Otherwise you can accept that a $150 new battery every 3 years comes with any long-life-reliable notebook.

Mar 6, 2016 12:47 PM in response to Bri_fi

Let's ignore the discussion of what is acceptable. Battery life is variable. And like everything, there are always a few batteries that are ot up to snuff. That said -= the more it is used, the less it will last - most batteries are measure din cycles. You can get an indication of its usage from systems profiler. I have a 7 year old battery that is like new; and a 4 year old one that is quite weak ( but better than yours). The weak one has something like 700 cycles on it -0 i bought the machine used and who knows how it was treated.

While officially it is not user serviceable - i think yours can be replaced in the field by you or a tech. Go to ifixit.com and look it up.

Unless you need to move it around, run the machine off mains.

G

Macbook Pro battery storage failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.