Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I install OS 7-9 on a Mac Pro

I have some legacy software called art explosion 750K. I bought it off ebay for a good price, but I can't install it. I am running mavericks right now on a MP 2009. Can I install a backward comparable legacy OS on a boot drive? The earliest OS I have is Leopard or SN, not sure which.

I would like to be able to get to the graphics on these discs through a search portal.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Other OS, Mavericks, late 2009, 4 x 2.26 GHz

Posted on Mar 7, 2016 11:28 AM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2016 8:17 AM in response to nelsonmay

Yes indeed you can. Go to the Emaculation forums and read up on using SheepShaver; if it's for you, then download the setup pdf which - if you follow it faithfully step by step - is very good and not too difficult (it even tells you where to go to get the components you need). I am using a 2011 Core i5 iMac running OS X 10.6.8, but I can run SheepShaver / OS 8.6 which lets me access old software, data, and games.

There is nothing illegal about SheepShaver. Apple used to supply System 7.5.3 as a free download but don't bother now. Nor do they sell or supply any classic OS, or even any earlier versions of OS X before Snow Leopard. My view is that if you wish to access your old data, and Apple no longer sell the OS you need, then they lose nothing by you emulating it.

can I install OS 7-9 on a Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.