Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I enable TRIM? System Profile says that both my SSD's do NOT feature TRIM support....

hi!

i am new to the world of SSD. I recently bought two SSD's for use with e OWC Thunderbay mini:

ADATA SP550 - my OS El Capitan

Samsung 850 EVO - media storage

WHen I view each drive in System Profiler, each have a bug, fat 'No' beside TRIM Support field.

i know that Apple does not want to support third party drives because they don't want to be held liable for data loss or corruption. Is this why System Profiler tells me this? Or are these two drives truly on he naughty list and I should definitely not enable Trim?

i appreciate all feedback very much! Thank you!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 12 gigs of RAM

Posted on Mar 7, 2016 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2016 2:54 PM

That is not a bug. That is simply a report. Unless you are using an Apple branded SSD TRIM is not enabled. That is normal. You need a third-party utility to enable TRIM: Trim Enabler. Or you can leave it disabled. Today's SSDs may actual work better without TRIM. So you might just as well not worry about it. See Trim Talk. If the SSDs use a Sand Force controller TRIM isn't really needed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2016 2:54 PM in response to BeefRounds

That is not a bug. That is simply a report. Unless you are using an Apple branded SSD TRIM is not enabled. That is normal. You need a third-party utility to enable TRIM: Trim Enabler. Or you can leave it disabled. Today's SSDs may actual work better without TRIM. So you might just as well not worry about it. See Trim Talk. If the SSDs use a Sand Force controller TRIM isn't really needed.

Mar 7, 2016 9:38 PM in response to KimUserName

SSorry about my signature--i havent been able to figure out how to update it. I am running 10.11 El Capitan, and I am aware of the sudo command to enable TRIM. My concern is whether or not the System Profiler knows something about my two SSD drives that I do not; that maybe I shouldn't enable TRIM because these two drives are described as not being supported for TRIM. I didn't know if my luck happened to be that I bought two drives that shouldn't have TRIM enabled, or if Apple's System Profiler reads all third party SSD drives as not being TRIM enabled.

or maybe the system profiler is simply telling me that TRIM is not currently enabled?

i Was just concerned that turning trim on might gunk things up, and I am not about bunking up my data. Should I heed this warning from system profiler or would it say this regardless of what third party drive I had connected?

thanks!

Mar 8, 2016 5:02 AM in response to BeefRounds

Hi BeefRounds:

So you are running El Capitan which supports 3rd party TRIM.

I found this information on your ADATA SP550 SSD. http://benchmarkreviews.com/30461/adata-premier-sp550-ssd-review/2/

At the bottom of page 1 it shows:

User uploaded file

The Samsung 850 EVO SSD supports TRIM also. I have been using that drive for about 6 months with TRIM enabled and it has been working fine.

I have never tried TRIM on an external drive, so I can't help you with that. Maybe someone else has tried TRIM on an external drive?

Kim

Mar 8, 2016 7:12 AM in response to BeefRounds

Whether TRIM is useful or not depends on the SSD. Some almost certainly need it,

some actually get degraded performance, and some simply do not make any difference.

You need to consult the manufacturer as to whether TRIM is useful or not.

As for enabling, the last release of Yosemite and all versions of El Capitan don not require

third party software to enable. In these versions of OS X, you can enable trim from

Terminal using the following command:

sudo trimforce enable

You'll be prompted to enter a password and then be presented with dire warnings

but just answer yes.

To disable, execute this command:

sudo trimforce disable

Personally, I have enabled and disabled with Sandisk Ultra II drives and Kingston

SSDnow v300 and saw no performance differences.

Should I enable TRIM? System Profile says that both my SSD's do NOT feature TRIM support....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.