Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage shows new notification but can't find it

I continually have a red dot notification on my tool bar but i can't seem to find the new message when i open it. There are no unread messages on my phone so I don't understand.

Posted on Mar 7, 2016 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 1:13 PM

Hi,

It is not an uncommon problem.

However it is not clear how it occurs.

One theory is it is when you have read an iMessage on an iPhone and dismiss it as the app opens up and the Badge gets left marked with an unread item.

Try clicking and holding the DOCK icon and see if it list the supposed unread item.

If you can select that and bring it up in the main window it can sometime be reset by then dismissing the particular thread.

If that does not work there are three other methods of deleting the Unread badge.

1) Go to the Notifications item in System Preferences and set all the option for Messages to Off and the Banners to NONE.

Close the System Preferences

Now Quit Messages.

Restart the Mac and open Messages.

The Unread badge should be gone and you can now turn On the Notifications again.

2) In Applications/Utilities open the Activity Monitor.

Find the Dock item in the list normally a low PID number close to the Finder as it start up when the computer does

Highlight and then use the grey stop sign like icon top left to Quit the process.

Confirm Force Quit in the dialogue box.

Two thing swill now happen:- the Dock will disappear and reappear on the Desktop and the item will reappear automatically at the top of the list in Activity Monitor as it does so.

3) You can do the same things with a command in Terminal.

Search for Killdock

User uploaded file

9:13 pm Tuesday; March 8, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2016 1:13 PM in response to ijethro

Hi,

It is not an uncommon problem.

However it is not clear how it occurs.

One theory is it is when you have read an iMessage on an iPhone and dismiss it as the app opens up and the Badge gets left marked with an unread item.

Try clicking and holding the DOCK icon and see if it list the supposed unread item.

If you can select that and bring it up in the main window it can sometime be reset by then dismissing the particular thread.

If that does not work there are three other methods of deleting the Unread badge.

1) Go to the Notifications item in System Preferences and set all the option for Messages to Off and the Banners to NONE.

Close the System Preferences

Now Quit Messages.

Restart the Mac and open Messages.

The Unread badge should be gone and you can now turn On the Notifications again.

2) In Applications/Utilities open the Activity Monitor.

Find the Dock item in the list normally a low PID number close to the Finder as it start up when the computer does

Highlight and then use the grey stop sign like icon top left to Quit the process.

Confirm Force Quit in the dialogue box.

Two thing swill now happen:- the Dock will disappear and reappear on the Desktop and the item will reappear automatically at the top of the list in Activity Monitor as it does so.

3) You can do the same things with a command in Terminal.

Search for Killdock

User uploaded file

9:13 pm Tuesday; March 8, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

iMessage shows new notification but can't find it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.