Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy an iTunes playlist from one computer to another?

I have 2 windows based laptops, each have iTunes, and each have identical music in the iTunes libraries. I want to copy a playlist I made on one computer to my iTunes on the other computer. How?

null-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 7, 2016 8:38 PM

11 replies

Mar 8, 2016 2:03 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Not quite what I'm looking for. I want to physically download the playlist to my other computer so that when I take that computer somewhere other than my home network, I can still play the playlist.

I'm trying to figure out the File-->Library-->Import/Export playlist commands. It seems like that would create a file of the playlist I could simply copy to a thumb drive, then transfer it to the other computer. But I can't find the name of that file or where it resides (using Windows File Explorer). Any advice?

Also, I noticed when trying the Home Sharing, I was playing the playlist ok on my other computer, at the playlist name on the top of the screen, one of the options when clicking '...' was 'Import Playlist', I clicked that but nothing happened.

Mar 8, 2016 9:07 AM in response to MrLonzo

Not quite. I'm guessing that you do not have an iOS device, and you are only using iTunes on your computers. If that is the case, you do not need an iOS device. See this portion.

You can use Home Sharing with up to five computers on your home network. Follow these steps to use Home Sharing:

1. Open iTunes on your computer.
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
  3. Go to File > Home Sharing.
  4. Turn on Home Sharing.

Now you can use Home Sharing:

• Stream music, movies, TV shows, apps, and other iTunes content from one authorized computer to another. The computers need to be on and awake, and iTunes needs to be open.
  • To see all of your shared libraries, click User uploaded file in the top-left corner of iTunes.
  • Share iTunes content by dragging it from one computer’s library to another computer’s library.
  • You can also import purchases from other Home Sharing computers into your iTunes library. Choose a shared library, click User uploaded file, and select the content that you want to import.

Once you click on the shared icon, you can access both libraries. No iOS device needed.

Mar 8, 2016 2:20 PM in response to MrLonzo

Well, I just tried testing a few things on my two computers. I have my main iTunes library on my desktop, and I have my laptop setup with Home Sharing. I have been able to copy music, but when I attempted to copy a playlist, it wouldn't work. Music would copy over to the laptop, but not a playlist. I can, however, copy all of the contents of the playlist to the laptop. While this may be a little sloppier than copying the playlist, at least it will work. I just selected the songs, and then drag it over to the left column, and that changes to the content of my laptop library, and the songs copied just fine. Not sure it that helps, but it is the best I can find right now.

Mar 8, 2016 8:26 PM in response to MrLonzo

After experimenting, I think I found a solution, so I'll try to answer my own question. Home Sharing is NOT the answer to this question!!

In iTunes, highlight the playlist you want to copy. Then, File-->Library-->export playlist. This will be saved as an XML file. A box comes up to let you designate where it will be saved. I saved mine to a thumb drive. Copy that file to the new computer. Go to iTunes on the new computer, then File-->Library-->import playlist. Click the file you just copied and the copied playlist will now appear in iTunes.

Mar 8, 2016 9:20 PM in response to MrLonzo

And that playlist will play? I'm just curious where it is getting the music file from? When I tried it on my Windows computer, it defaulted to save as a .txt file, but I was also able to select .xml. I don't have another computer to test it on right now, but will give it a try tomorrow when I get to work. I've emailed the file to my work address, and I can download it on computer that has a different iTunes library than I have at home.

Mar 9, 2016 6:03 AM in response to turingtest2

We were both correct. I exported the playlist as the OP stated, emailed it to myself to use the file on my work computer. It has a clean library. I imported the playlist and while it saved, there was no music in it, since that .xml file refers to music and locations that exist on my home computer. The playlist opens, but since no music was saved to the exported file, then the music does not exist in the playlist or my library at work.

To the OP, while my Home Sharing step is not the most gracious, it does allow you to move the music from one computer to another, and would allow you to create a playlist. You still have to move the music to the other computer.

How to copy an iTunes playlist from one computer to another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.